S&P500 client ISO financial planner

innova2019

Life is, currently, very good. I'm a DIY kind of guy and have managed my wealth and taxes just fine. However, the time will come when I can't do this myself. Also, it takes some time to manage and there are other things I want to do with my time. I'd like a financial planner to just move/sell assets from S&P500 traditional IRA -> Roth IRA -> after-tax account -> checking account. These movements should be such that 1) I never bounce a check, 2) tax withholding on the IRA distributions result in "the amount you overpaid"/"the amount you owe" on the 1040 is nearly $0, and 3) the total annual traditional IRA distribution results in me being right on the 24%/32% bracket break (until RMDs dictate otherwise). The few financial planners I spoke with want to push their portfolio management song-and-dance to justify their fee. Are there "minimalist" financial planners that do this kind of work? If so, how do I find them?

@newway Well . . . I should add that I'd like the financial planner to be at least 20 years my junior. (And a non-smoker with a BMI < 25.) After all, I'm looking for someone to take over as I mentally decline and need high assurance they'll outlive me.

@innova2019 I have a friend that’s mid 30s healthy guy, works out regularly, non smoker - I think the dilemma is what you want is the automated account movement part without investment management, I get that but I’m not sure how an advisor could do that. I can send you his info though.

@innova2019 Yes, there are quite a few financial planners that do exactly that. Look for smaller, independent firms that operate as a team/ensemble (minimum 5+ people) - generally they will have support and infrastructure to take that approach. Target firms with CFPs and then interview them to see if their primary focus is planning/implementation vs investment management. A few things to note though:

What level of fee are you willing to pay for that service? If you're looking for a "minimalist" rate, that likely won't happen. It'll probably still be the industry standard of 1% on the first $500k-$1m, but hopefully declines rapidly after that. It doesn't matter if you're just in the S&P500 or a more broadly allocated portfolio, either way I've got the same level of liability (actually, more risk if you're just in the S&P), and we're still doing essentially the same level of work (including planning, implementing, etc.) which is what the majority of a typical advisory fee goes to (at least it should... avoid any planner/advisor who pitches investment management as their primary value add.)

While the main pitch isn't portfolio management, it does come into play whether we like it or not and generally means we can't use a S&P500 only approach. If you want us to handle free up funds, moving money, etc., it requires us to use a managed account so that we have discretion. From there, if you're a proponent of low-cost broad indexing, then a global market cap portfolio is more arguably appropriate. Similarly, if you're drawing income, there are clear benefits to breaking out the exposure using separate index funds (better when rebalancing for cash generation, etc.) If drawing income, having some fixed income exposure is also appropriate so you have options next time the market drops 50%+. I have to provide that advice/direction and if you opt to stick with only the S&P500, I've got to document that. Next time the SEC stops by, they're going to see that your accounts are not actively managed (as evidenced by the documentation and single holding) and that the investment decisions are made by you. They are going to argue that an advisory/managed account is not appropriate, which creates legal/compliance issues for me. The various admin/planning/implementation services should matter, but seem secondary to regulators. All that to say, we essentially have to incorporate some level of portfolio management into the equation.

This is the type of service that still requires manual work; running tax estimates, setting appropriate withholdings, modifying as a result of changes to distributions, tax bracket shifts, IRMAA tiers, tax law updates, etc. I wish there was a way to automate it, but none of the major firms have come out with anything yet. Within the industry, we have some tools that help, but still requires manual work to optimize and implement.

@innova2019 I also am looking for this and it seems perfectly suited to an automated solution. The only low cost/robo options I can find are Schwab Intelligent Income (which is not that attractive for a variety of reasons) and a firm called Retirable which is a startup and not sure its stable or a sustainable business. I cannot fathom why places like Betterment or Wealthfront (or Fidelity or Vanguard or whoever) don’t do better on optimized decumulation.

@innova2019 The problem with your wish list is that you require tax advice. Only a CPA or EA can provide tax advice so you need a planner who is also a CPA/EA. Not a lot of those out there and even fewer that are 20 years younger.

@innova2019 Why the move from Trad IRA -> Roth then immediately to after- tax account -> checking? I understand you’re making distributions but if you need cashflow why not just go from Trad IRA -> checking? That is easy to automate. Unless you’re planning on keeping money in the Roth for some time to grow then distributing from there. Most of this is simple to automate but that many steps is not easy. Maybe I’m missing something here.

@innova2019 Right that makes sense - how much time between these steps? E.g. you move from IRA -> Roth today, then next year from Roth -> brokerage, then liquidate and -> checking? Or maybe you’re saying move $50k to Roth then move 40k to checking so you slowly convert everything over?

@innova2019 Fair enough - the point is still the same. The timeline of keeping it in a Roth in my opinion is important because if it’s too short a time then you don’t really get the tax free growth benefit. You’re right for being methodical for this.