Rules regarding remote work in the EU

autumnrose

I am a non-European currently working as a contractor in Poland and I recently got a PhD offer in Italy.

I know I have full right to work in Poland and, as a PhD student in Italy, I should be allowed to work there as part time only.

Since my job is not very demanding, fully remote and paid in function of the worked hours, I would like to move to Italy for the PhD and hopefully keep my job on a lower working load, so I can make some extra money on the side since the PhD scholarship is no that great for Italy.

Mainly I would like to know if this is even legal or possible in any way, tax wise and so on.

Also, my company does have an office in Italy and I am considering to simply request to be "relocated" there, however, I am afraid of communicating my intentions to my employer and being replaced if they see it as a lack of commitment to the company, so any suggestion on this matter is welcomed.

@autumnrose In general, you are requested to work (and pay your taxes, have your insurances and so on) in the country in which you reside. Some of your chances would be:

1 - Be in Italy hired as PhD, and tell your company in Poland to re-allocate you there as you mentioned. If they already have an office there it should be fine, and you will be just another employee there (you will not stay as the “relocated employee”). I think this is what anyone that does not try to go to grey zones will recommend.

2 - Be in Italy hired as PhD, set yourself up as a Freelancer, and have the Polish company hire you as a contractor (e.g., by hours and you send them invoices and such).

Within Europe you must have one place of residence. You can have a second residence, but it is that, a second one. You pay your taxes in your first residence. Some exceptions are in there but for the majority this is the truth.

If you think it is really worthwhile, I recommend you to check with an experienced professional from Italy or Poland as the specific regulations (max. time to live here or there while paying taxes here or there, and such) vary across countries.

@autumnrose I just wanted to chime in saying that there are many people working in one country and living in another. That's not a grey area and totally legal. However, they do use special accountants to advise them.

@autumnrose Better be upfront with your company. It’s not like you’re moving to Italy to work with a competitor. They might even have some kind of tax incentives as a company if they hire someone who is studying at a tertiary level. I don’t know if Italy has this, but it’s worth asking.

If you don’t and you go about it alone, you risk being fired because you’re violating your Polish contract, or fined by the Italian authorities for not paying tax, or most likely, both.