Roof claim question

psuseagull

I had a roofing company chalk my roof from storm damage I filed a claim and they met with the adjuster. The claim was approved and the roofer wants me to send them the estimate from the insurance company with all the cost info. I haven’t hired this roofer but it would seem I should be asking the roofer to give me an estimate and get quotes from other companies? I did not sign anything saying I would hire them. I have a deductible to pay but it’s to my advantage to shop around or am I thinking of this wrong?

@psuseagull You are correct, you are legally obligated to pay your deductible. If the roofer met with your insurance adjuster and helped get your roof (and other possible damage) paid for, you should have them replace the roof etc for you. Legitimate restoration contractors use the software that ins co’s use to create/duplicate estimates. It is an expensive subscription, but it helps contractors essentially communicate in the same language as the adjusters/ins co. Stay away from any contractor that offers to “cover” your deductible. It’s insurance fraud, and individuals that engage in that behavior don’t last long. It sounds like a roofer did a good job for you though. My suggestion would be to let them do the work now.

@psuseagull It’s likely they will take the adjusters estimate, add items to it, and send a supplement. Which is a lazy way of estimate writing in my opinion. Tell them you’re taking bids from contractors, and ask them for their estimate. Or if your insurance company has contractors, ask if there’s a warranty for using their contractors. Roofers can go out of business or disappear, but a warranty through your insurance company would protect you from poor workmanship and guarantee that the roofer is doing the work for what your company will pay.

@puddintain Didn’t consider the warranty part. Good advice.

If the roofers estimate is less than insurance, do I pocket the diff or is there a closed loop somehow that the insurance only pays what it costs for the roofer I get less my deductible?

@psuseagull If you have a replacement cost policy, you’re only going to get paid the depreciated amount up front. So you’ll just not get reimbursed the full difference. This may or may not be what you already got paid.

@psuseagull Price doesn’t matter once insurance commits to cover it, your cost will always be your deductible at most. What you should be most concerned with is quality of work and are they a trusted reliable contractor.