Reviews of mutual funds and asset management services for month of April 2023 : Request or post reviews.

henry_

You can discuss something like these, ITT:
  • Which fund houses are you currently investing with? Why did you invest in the funds?
  • Reviews on the funds offered by the fund house?
  • Provide your opinion on the investment services offered by the fund house. Do you avail their instant redemption features of the liquid funds? Do you use a "smart" SIP offering?
  • How easy it is to navigate & use their app / websites?
  • Does the fund house provide periodic communication regarding the markets, fund performance and strategy?
  • What PMS scheme / AIFs are you currently invested in, if any? Why did you choose it?
  • What does the PMS / AIF fee structure look like?
  • Does the PMS manager provide periodic communications regarding portfolio selection and performance?
You can ask for general review of a particular product or service that you are researching - "What is the investing style of fund X? Is it recommended for long-term retirement needs?", but avoid asking for personal advice.

The discussion is for consumption by a broader audience, not just specific to you.

For advice regarding your personal situation (like "I have 25L saved up currently for retirement purposes in 30 years. What fund / PMS / AIF should I choose?"), the bi-weekly advice thread is recommended It's stickied at the top of the subreddit.

Personal advice queries and comments will be removed to ensure that older threads provide sufficient historical reviews on products and services.

Reviews posted here can be relied upon by newcomers to evaluate customer experience. Please confine the discussions only to reviews or requests for reviews of products and services.

Link to previous threads

@henry_ Hey, so i started sip last year with a bare minimum of 2k , now i bumped it and now I'm doing 4k .

UTI Nifty Index, Parag Parikh Flexi , Edelweiss europe dynanmic, Motilal oswal Nasdaq , HDFC Balanced advantage fund.

Should i keep doing SIP in this scheme or should i change something.

Investing for Long term goals. Please help me out.

@henry_ I am investing in mutual funds after a gap. I did liquidate my mutual funds last year and made a decent return. Stayed invested for over a 4 year period. Mainly invested in Large Cap since it was my first time. Currently considering:

Parag Parikh Flexi Cap & Quant Flexi Cap
PGIM Ind Midcap Opp. & Quant Mid Cap
Tata Small Cap & Canara Robeco Small Cap & Quant Small Cap

Flexi Cap, Mid Cap & Small Cap are rather new to me. Risk appetite has increased. View is to stay invested for 3 to 5 years. Will be investing via SIP mode. Being an NRI investor will only be elegible for regular plan.

Please guide.

@henry_ Guys I just started working. I get 30k a month. I can save 10k of this every month. Where would I ideally invest it for the most return?

The subreddit wiki suggests " ICICI Prudential liquid fund" . Is that still a good option or are there better? I don't have any immediate need for the money. So I can invest more longer term if its more optimal.

I would also like to diversify where I invest the money. So if you have certain plan recommendations which have been successful for you, that would be appreciated as well

@paulliu First start by getting basics sorted -
  • If you have any loans look into pre-paying the loans.
  • Have an emergency fund of 6 month of expenses as the wiki recommends. Link - https://www.indiainvestments.wiki/b...ro-to-investing/the-first-step-emergency-fund.
  • Get a Term Insurance and additional Health insurance other than what your employer provides. Also remember insurance isn't investment. Buy Term insurance rather than shitty policies like endowment. Research quite a but before purchasing the policies. Recommend is you book a call with someone like Ditto. Link - https://joinditto.in/.
Now for long term investment usually equity (meaning stocks) is recommended. The MF you quoted is a liquid fund mainly used for short term needs like 1-3 years.

For staring I suggest going with something simple like UTI Nifty 50 Index Growth Direct Plan (Link - https://kuvera.in/mutual-funds/fund/uti-nifty-50-index-growth--UTNID2-GR). This fund follows an Index called Nifty which tracks top 50 Companies in India by marketcap. This fund is passive and is a good beginner choice. You can start by opening an account in Kuvera/Zerodha/Groww (any MF broker with Direct MF plans).

I suggest you to start with a 10K monthly SIP into this plan and also research what other MF's you mgiht like and what ratio of equity - debt you can prefer.

@jramos1996 I heard about "trading" strategy. What is meant by mutual fund strategy?

I suppose we invest in mutual funds so that we "won't" have to go through that kind of trouble.

If someone does that and benefits from it, I would surely like to know.

@henry_ My direct investments aren't forever. Think of them as a swing trade, often lasting longer than a swing trade. I buy a stock and book profts once i have made 20%+ profits on it. I have the patience to wait for anywhere between 1 month to 1 year. If it doesn't cross my threshold, i exist. Can't be right every damn time

@henry_ All the Quant funds I invested in are giving negative returns. Started in them 20-24 months back. Reason - my research and comparison of them with peers for the last 7-1 year and even in 1-6 months put them above all. So picked their Active, Mid cap, Small Cap, Infra funds.

Should I keep the money in them or move out to something else like SBI small cap (the most handsome performance in my portfolio even in the last 6-8 months) or parag parekh flexi cap (also performed good)

Also I had invested in UTI Transportation and Logistics fund. It's performing very poorly. Down almost 7%. Wait or move?

@sandnesspeak
Started in them 20-24 months back

I think most of the mutual funds since Sept'21 are having the similar returns. Even Indices have not moved much during this time frame. Quant funds follow a certain investing approach and if you are okay with that then continue.

And I would avoid any sectoral or thematic mutual funds. Lesson learnt from ICICI prudential technology fund few years back.

Disclaimer: Not a single quant mutual fund in my portfolio of 5 mutual funds.

@sandnesspeak
had invested in UTI Transportation and Logistics fund. It's performing very poorly. Down almost 7%.

Was your rationale behind investing in this purely based on past returns? If yes, you have learnt an important investing lesson. Sectoral funds are risky and you need to be skillful in selecting the right sector at the right time.

I think that's the same reason you would have chosen quant funds too. Quant fund house follows a different investing style vs other funds. Also, 2-3yrs is a very short period of time that too in the current equity environment. I don't think anyone who started in 2021 in any equity fund is sitting at good profits, many might be breaking even or in losses too.

@henry_ My uncle got retired and having 25+ lac investible cash.
Basis on this what would be ideal investment idea / funds to invest for above amount without chasing returns in equity market.

@jssceckert funds can underperform for certain number of years. If you like those funds stick with them for the duration of your goal. You need to be invested for minimum 7 years in small caps to make decent returns.