Retired w/ $9.5 million In Assets

decency

Recently, we lost my father due to natural causes at the age of 72. He left my mother, age 71, in a very healthy financial position, with $8,000,000 spread between IRA's, an IRA annuity, and taxable accounts. Also, she owns a modest home on the East Coast and one in South Florida, both of which are fully paid for, except for her monthly HOA's and taxes. I would estimate her combined real estate holdings to be about $1,500,000. She lives modestly, on about $130,000/year. Her only indulgence is going out to dinner nightly, but those are casual meals with friends, certainly not steak and lobster. No cooking for her anymore. She earned it. She will soon be required to take RMD's of about $165,000/year.

She really has no idea where she stands financially. My father always made sure she was taken care of but didn't necessarily discuss their retirement investments with her at length. They always used and still use a very trusted asset manager, and I have assured her that she will live very comfortably for the rest of her days, probably 20-25 years.

Anyway, my niece, her youngest granddaughter, was born severely disabled and will require lifelong care, which is expensive and will become increasingly expensive as she grows older. My mother's biggest concern is that when she dies, she will be able to have a sizeable fund set up for her granddaughter's long-term care. Her parents, do everything they can for her, but my mother does help out, due to the significant financial burden it is on them, but they never look for handouts. Truthfully, I think my sister and brother-in-law are heroes for doing what they do for their daughter. Their family was dealt a very bad hand.

So, my question comes down to this. Where do you think her assets will be in 20-25 years? I would assume she will want to sell the house in Florida at some point when she is older, or move there and sell the East Coast house. I would assume those proceeds would be rolled into her other investments in some way or another. With her modest, currently healthy, life do you think she will be able to do what she wants for her granddaughter, while also leaving for her other grandchildren, who she holds very close to her heart as well?

@decency $130k/yr is about 2% of $8m. Unless her spending patterns change, she will likely leave more than what she currently has.

Her RMDs will get larger. Have her open a regular HYSA or Brokerage acct for what she doesn’t spend.

@yakob123 At that asset level, Id suggest redirecting RMDs to be reinvested, there is no cash need at all that would warrant a HYSA.

Most of the planning should be with an Estate Planner and ensuring they have used applicable exemptions (didnt see which state....) and trust planning.

@yakob123 Do a lot of people sell off investments as RMDs, pay tax on it, then immediately put it in another brokerage account? Wouldn’t that new one also be subject to RMDs?

@alexb23 there's no RMDs on brokerage accounts. RMDs are in place for things like 401k and IRA accounts, not Roth IRA though. RMDs exist to force a withdrawal and pay taxes on the money that has been tax advantaged when it went in.

@decency Advisor here (not hers but my clients are in similar situations). She needs some complex planning here as there’s potential estate tax, long term care, and special needs planning issues down the pipeline. Some of these needs are state specific. There’s also potential to get creative with gifting and philanthropy to minimize taxation i.e. qualified charitable distributions from her IRA will satisfy her RMD and reduce taxes. A skilled advisory team can help a ton here and their fee will be worth every penny.

@nonebutjesus Ask around. Meet with several. Invest the time. I work with clients all over the country and even some ex-pats. I always recommend that prospects meet with others to see how they mesh with each. This business is all about trust and my value is measured by more than how i perform vs. an arbitrary index.

@lalaland777 Estate over the 2024 limits and nervously eyeing the changes coming in 2026. Recent transactions have given us realized assets vs vague investments that I had undervalued as a self defense mechanism. :). So we’ve started exploring more extensive estate planning and BDITs were presented to us over regular trusts. Seemed aggressive (see my mindset above), but also an intriguing way to protect the estate while maintaining some control. They suggested none of our parents establish the trust so that we could be be beneficiaries and yet also have control. I need to do more research into how effective these are - do they hold up? - and the in and outs of setting them up and using vs a traditional trust.

@rehpic At that level of estate, source a few estate attorneys and try to build a consensus for yourself. There are several ways to accomplish passing down a legacy while minimizing taxation. Gifting, philanthropy, trusts, etc. Really depends on the family situation and goals.

I’ll happily chat through this with you more if you wish.

But whatever you do don’t get your advice from an insurance salesperson :)