Regarding changing deductible

ron902

Hello redditors!

I have just changed my deductible from $500 to $0. 03/05
Someone told me the cost is very small and people don’t really know that. It was about $20+ for both of my cars. However, I now have a crack in my windshield 03/07.
How long do I have to wait before they get suspicious that I changed my deductible because of the crack? I’d hate for them to assume I’m trying to defraud them.

@ron902 No need to wait. Again, as long as you are being truthful then you shouldn’t worry. As an agent, I would get suspicious if you called me 2 days after the windshield was replaced to raise your deductible again.

@ron902 It doesn't matter if you report it two days later or two months later. They're going to know a change happened because the system will generate a warning saying hey confirm this. If you lie, they'll catch you. If you tell the truth and have nothing to hide, they'll ask you for a couple of things and then you'll be fine. Don't screw yourself over for a windshield. If you're that worried pay out pocket and don't file a claim for this one and you'll be good if it happens again

@ron902 They’re gonna ask you

“when did the damage occur?”

regardless of when you report it. If you choose to lie, that’s fraud

@ron902 It is fishy that this happened, however it happened. They might refer it to SIU, the fraud unit. They might just pay it and note in their system that it was questionable for future reference.

Some companies have automated rules that will kick off if the policy has been changed in the last x days/months etc. Others will rely on the adjuster/agent filing the claim. There is no way to say, 2 days will trigger a referral, 7 days wont.

Also, to be clear, it is a referral, not a determination. However, if you lie about the date, even to "just" make it seem less "fishy", and they determine you lied, expect to get your insurance canceled, and other bad things that could happen. Intentionally lying about material facts, like the date of loss, on a claim is insurance fraud. Insurance fraud is a crime.

@sdahasaqueation Yup. My company automatically flagged every claim within X time frame after a coverage change to investigate further. Huge red letters in the claims system at the top too. Impossible for adjuster to ignore lol

@ron902 How big is the crack? I had a client lose their house to a fire 3 days after buying it. Accidents happen. As long as you are being honest, you have nothing to worry about.

@gklee I work for safelite so I know its not repairable. Its at least 8 inches. My question is really should I wait to report it so as to not cause suspicion? If so how long?

@bioleap Haha I mean if the damage happened 03/07, and I say it happened 03/12 so that way its not so close to me changing my deductible to appear as the damage happened before changing deductible

@ron902 Yes, that’s still fraud.

And as someone who works for Safelite what a weird coincidence that you happened to get an 8 inch crack within 48 hours of changing your deductible.

Good luck!

@bioleap Yes. As a safelite employee for only a few months i have learned the importance of having a low deductible. And I finally changed it. The whole reason of the post is to make it not look fishy what can I do