Received small lump sum of money

lili487

I (32m) received a lump sum of 100k settlement. My wife and I want to buy a bigger house than what we are already in for our growing family. I put 17k and cleared my CC debt immediately and added 8k to CDs along with my existing 2k for an emergency fund (all different life terms).

Key takeaways:

I make just over 80k, contribute 5% to a traditional 401k and 3% to a Roth, employer matches up to 6% I think.

Receive 100% P&T VA compensation.

Wife is a stay at home mom.

Really considering putting 10k into treasury T-bonds at 6% return I think because of our short term goal of buying a house in 2-3 years.

What else should I do? Treasury maxes out at 10k. Pay her CC debt? Some of it is before our marriage at it’s 13k

We live in an expensive school district, upgrading to a 4 bedroom is easily 800 to 900k.

I have a rough budget and track it the month prior to see how we are spending. Put mostly everything on a cash rewards cards for fixed costs.

What should I do? I don’t wanna blow this chance

@lili487 According to a calculator to see what you can afford at 80k. If your credit score is 780 and above and you put 60k down it says you can afford a house in the 350-400k range

@lili487 Have a friend who just bought a 5br, 3ba in Bucks County(top 25 school district) for $550k. Still out of your budget in my opinion unless your wife went back to work, but way less than $800k. I think if you think you can afford a house that expensive, you REALLY need a reality check. Considering you had $30k combined credit card debt in your current home, I don't see an upgrade being feasible in the slightest....

@lili487 Shouldn’t you get 100% property tax exemption and real estate transaction tax exemption for your 100% status? If so you should mention that it changes your situation on how much house you can afford.

@ref It depends on the state/county. Still I make more than that guy without a family including my VA and wouldn’t fathom thinking about how house poor I would be.

He makes 80k, VA we will call 4K/month so 48k untaxed. So 128k/year. His normal job is roughly 6700/month pre tax and deductions.

I’ve been looking at another house in the 500k range and that would put me in a mortgage of roughly 3-3,500 and did a rough look a 800k house would be in the 6k/month range. OP is looking at moves that will make him house poor IMO

@cintasatu Oh I agree. I’m from Jersey though it makes a big difference. Can talking 10-20k a year saved. Still not enough to be able to afford in the 800-900k price range.

@lili487 "Treasury maxes out at 10k" -- That's specifically for Series I Savings Bonds, a.k.a. I-bonds. There is no limit to Treasury Bills or various other T products.

Pay all of your credit card debt and resolve not to enter that status again. It will crush your financial goals if it's a habit.

A lump sum is great, but you need reliable, recurring income to support your housing expenses. A gross income of $80,000 supports a recommended housing expenditure of $24,000 annually, or $2k per month - based on 30% of gross. Housing includes rent/mortgage, tax, fees, and utilities.

You have no chance of buying an $800k house with that limitation.

House aside, do you have retirement savings? This is a terrific chance to get on the right foot with that critical aspect of your personal finances.

@newway This guy is a guy to listen to @lili487

I’d learn more about investing into index funds. That will go way further in pushing your wealth up. It’s good you have 100% pt from the VA… but future you could be doing a lot better.

@newway Yeah, almost 100K combined, my employer fully matches and has 5% return.

800k topping out for the housing market here, obviously I wouldn’t be the only one working and right now I’m almost at 140k annually combined with my VA comp.

@lili487 I do not see a path to a $900k house unless you significantly increase your income or have like 60% down payment.

You also should keep in mind how expensive it is to maintain a house. One very rough rule of thumb is 1% per year, which on a $900k house would be $9k/year. Of course this is a very rough rule of thumb and will be highly variable, for example a newer build should be way less maintenance. Wife and I bought a $750k house 10 years ago and have put in close to $200k in improvements and maintenance in that time (including a $50k kitchen remodel and $70k deck replacement).