Rant: Fidelity Managed Portfolio

@bernard05 That is a loaded question, mainly because there are multiple schools of thought on what the best allocations are. It also heavily depends on your personal goals and timeline.

The simplest piece is the ratio of stocks to bonds. Stocks have higher volatility (ie, higher risk of going down) but higher returns than bonds. This is where your time horizon matters. Ie, when do you want to be able to start spending this money? The more time you have, the more you want a higher % of stocks over bonds to increase your returns. The less time you have, the higher the % of bonds you want in your portfolio.

These percentages are not static by the way. You can and should adjust them over time. The closer you get to your goal, the more your portfolio should shift to emphasize bonds.

Btw, when you hear the phrase "60/40" portfolio, it's referring to 60% stocks, 40% bonds. It's a pretty standard portfolio. It's also very conservative, 40% is a HIGH bond allocation. That would be good for someone maybe in their late 50s, getting closer to retirement. I'm 35 myself, I have 90% stocks, 10% bonds in my portfolio right now. I'm choosing higher volatility in exchange for higher returns because I have 30+ years until I retire.

Also, in terms of diversification, your choice of stocks and bonds matters. Thankfully this is made SUPER easy by modern index funds. An index fund is a low cost basket of investments, in this case either stocks or bonds, depending on the fund. Rather than trying to buy a bunch of individual stocks in certain proportions on your own, you just buy shares of an index fund and know that your investment is being properly diversified.

This wonderful help comes at a price, unlike buying stocks or bonds directly, buying funds comes with a fee, or Expense Ratio (ER). Fortunately, in today's world there are a ton of low-fee options out there. As a rule, if the ER is >0.1%, you better have a damn good reason for investing in that fund because there are cheaper alternatives out there. To keep things even simpler, you can't go wrong with Vanguard funds.

The big index fund names that come up most often would be VTI (Vanguard Total US Stock Market), VXUS (Vanguard Total Ex-US Stock Market), and BND (Vanguard Total Bond Market) funds. They are very simple ways to diversify your portfolio. The stock funds are weighted by "market cap", which just means they have more of big companies and less of small companies, proportional to their sizes, but they still have everything in them. Market cap weighting tends to be the default choice for most diversified funds, but there are arguments in favor of other weighting systems if you want to explore them.

In terms of US vs Ex-US Stocks, the current market cap ratio would be 60% US 40% Ex-US. Whether you follow that or not is up to you. I personally do 80% US 20% Ex-US, I know I'm personally biased in favor of US investments but that's just my decision.

Anyway, I think this is a sufficient info dump for you. I would recommend /r/personalfinance, their wiki is an excellent source of general investing information. Also /r/bogleheads for advice on diversification.

@bestillandknow313 I mean how close to retirement are you? That likely is a factor in how your investment portfolio is constructed. Also depends on what your risk tolerance is - if you told them you had a high risk tolerance than that could explain why they have you invested in emerging and international markets.

One year and YTD are pretty short term windows and frankly aren't that bad return-wise - how has it performed over a longer investment period?

@bestillandknow313 Lol are you like a guerilla marketer?

Imagine if companies started paying people to complain about their great results.

“Thanks to Fidelity, I’m paying as low as .45% for their recommended funds and I’m up 12% while maintaining international diversification.”

@bestillandknow313 International has killed it since market bottom. I'm also betting they probably have a large amount in small cap as well, which is due to explode once rates come down.

You also mention wanting SCHD instead of the funds where you're "losing your shirt". Its not doing well this year. Would you still want it if the manager had been using it, or do you want it because you see it mentioned here often?

The whole point of having someone manage your money is to also have then manage your risk. Instead of chasing bloated AI hype they're spreading risk and leaning toward undervalued markets. If you like that idea then leave it. If you don't, then liquidate and do it yourself.

@sofialo09 Ok. Then go manage yourself. OP is going on a rant because their money manager is doing responsible reasonable things. They are welcome to take their money out. Just don't expect anyone to criticize the manager, they are doing their job and apparently doing it well.

@resjudicata If a manager can't beat VOO, they are incompetent. The OP is totally justified in complaining. The fact that a bunch of retail investors have also made choices that can't beat VOO is no argument in favor of a professional manager.