Quitting My Amazing Job (Am I insane?)

lyonap

Hello fellow redditors! First time posting here. 28M, currently earning 6k per month (take home pay around 5.2k). My car is fully paid off, only commitments are PTPTN and some basic utilities.

FYI my company is in the Branding/Marketing industry, we deal with clients from all around Asia to help them build brand presence and achieve customer acquisition goals.

Career progression is great, I got my promotion in the span of 8 months (Executive to Senior). If I worked hard, possibly I'll be climbing up another rank to the role of Team Lead by this year. One thing I like about the company is there's not one, but two performance review every year. My manager once told me, if you are capable, go for promotion twice in a year lol.

My company is heavily invested in learning, as they will send us to courses in different areas such as management, communication, leadership. It's FOC by the way.

Monetary wise, there's a guarantee 13 month bonus and minimum 2 months bonus (1 month if you F up pretty bad? I'm not sure)

Reason for quitting: one thing about the job is its extremely demanding, challenging, and obviously tiring. KPI and goals are set higher each quarter and IYKYK, the numbers game is a never ending one. Since I entered the company, never been a day I can fully walk away from my laptop. Company didn't force me to do this, but the sense of responsibility keeps reminding myself not to slack. Fun fact, I've had teams call in Japan while on a Shinkansen, pretty hard core I would say.

Another reason for quitting is I felt that I'm hitting my ceiling, there's nothing much to learn at this stage except advancing to a more senior role, which I'll need to work 200% harder to achieve, and I will probably go insane by that time.

If you were me, would you pull the trigger and quit? FYI our company is pretty reputable in the industry and getting another job with similar pay and jobscope isn't that hard. Think of it as jumping from META to Google.

FYI I have around 8-9 months of emergency fund, take this into consideration as well.

@lyonap I don't think it makes sense quitting without a plan. Just start looking around and doing the minimum in the mean time. Get a job offer then you can confidently quit.

I can understand why you want to leave. Not everyone can keep up with high stress environment. You still have 30+ years to work. No need rush.

@lyonap Maybe find a new job first but ask them to give 1 month extra from your resign notice for you to travel for your "healing trip". At least when you get back you have your job already covered.

@lyonap Perhaps you can take a trip to unwind first, once you’re back, tactfully say no to unbearable workload (by justifying that you’re working on xx), while also look for job offer before tender.

@lyonap Its great that you know where you are right now, what you want to pursue and that you are significant emergency fund. I think if you play your cards right, you could potentially survive on the fund for a year.

This is up to your individual risk tolerance but for me i would only quit the current job once i have something else lined up. That being said i would negotiate a later starting date to give myself time to recover.

You could have the new job start in 3 months after you tender then use that time to travel, bum around, etc.

@ineedadvice101 When you get that new job offer only resign from your current job after you have signed an official binding contract. Companies are evil these days so never ever resign from a current job until you sign a contract with your next employer you are happy with

@lyonap I just want to say that, the challenges and work dont get easier as you progress, in fact it will only get harder. What changes is your skill and your attitude, so you get better and better at tackling problems at work.

Taking up more responsibilities and delivering results is proof that you can do what your superior does and get promoted, and to be honest what seems hardcore now is just normal after a year.

I spent 4 years picking up skills but did not progress much in my career, but within the span of a year i leaped from entry job to managerial position, but during that year I had to fly to multiple countries for work, and i was only told at 6pm im flying later that night at 2am - multiple times, and attending meeting at odd hours.

But I have come to accept these because other times there is also other flexibility at work, I have had my standard 9-5 working hours, and I feel this leap is worth it.

@haroldii I agree with you. Your job responsibilities just going to add on over time. Unless you are okay with not progressing your career, meaning your salary stay flat.

It would be a dream having a high pay job and can goyang kaki

Adult life is a sad one. Have a job sad, not having a job also sad

@haroldii I truly wish I could have your mindset. I know its the right thing to do, but the current me is on the edge of collapsing. Maybe a short break and I'll go again. Thanks for the reply, I wish you all the best in life!

@lyonap Hi Op! I can’t really advise you much, but I can share my experience as it is somewhat similar. I used to work in an international bank that prioritise learning. I found the recipe for increment and promotion early (basically just work hard, learn, find solutions instead of complaining) and by 27 y/o I was already earning 5 figures as an AVP. I loved my job, handling it well, but I wanted to explore what else out there and challenge myself. I quit at 28 y/o and explore things that I had always been curious about, like in sales. Of course travel first for 3 months haha. I had a blast! I learned that I can do sale, its actually quite simple just jgn malu. Buttt I fell sick after, and doing sales/business while sick is not joke. Then, had a talk w my husband that I like to work in banking again cz its simple to me but I don’t want managerial position due to my health. He was ok with it and by then I already amassed many connections to progress in banking (which I then introduced to my introverted hubby. My connections like him and he basically continue where I left off haha).

I am working happily in a laid back bank now, and currently taking certificate to be a counsellor (mental health pandemic is coming they say). Soooo, what I am trying to say is a lot of people are still unhappy even when they plan a ton. Do plan, but only you know yourself if this is what feels right for you. Happy exploring! And have fun travelling! ❤️

@lyonap Bro u 28. This is the time to gym for taking care health and reaching the best potential of yourself, this the time to go on adventurous vacation, this the time to go buy a superbike and feel the adrenaline rushing ( i mean in a good mannered way ofc ) .

Money? What does it can do for you when you are 40 reaching 50 cant even climb stairs forget ever mountain climbing to enjoy panorama, nature and whatnot.

U already made it in ur career bro. U can start over a new career as example use your hobby and try be succesful while enjoying it.

@lyonap It seems that it is taking a toll on your mental and physical health. Since it is not hard for you to get another job and your emergency saving allows you to quit work for a short period. I would say go for it