Quick Q: First year tax filling. My SIN starts with 9 not 09, can I send in by NETFILE?

reginafacenda

Looking through the Canada Gov website the only exception I see with sending my documents by NETFILE is if my SIN starts with '09'. Mine starts with 9, is that the same thing?

@reginafacenda 5. TEMPORARY SINs

SINs that begin with the number 9 are issued to temporary residents who are neither Canadian citizens nor permanent residents, such as foreign students or individuals on work visas. These SINs have an expiry date.

6. GEOGRAPHY OF NUMBERS

The first digit of the SIN identifies the province where it was registered. 1 covers Atlantic Canada (Nova Scotia, New Brunswick, Prince Edward Island, and Newfoundland and Labrador), and overseas residents. 2-3 is used in Quebec. 4-5 is used in Ontario, excluding northwestern Ontario. 6 is for prairie provinces (Manitoba, Saskatchewan and Alberta), Northwest Territories, Nunavut and northwestern Ontario. 7 is used in the Pacific region (British Columbia and Yukon). 8 and 0 are not used.

By the sounds of this i assume they mean 9, because no SINs start with 0

EDIT: Additionally, people whose social insurance number begins with “09” don’t meet the Netfile requirements. This number applies to temporary workers who are not citizens or permanent residents. Those with an address outside of Canada, non-residents, and people who recently emigrated to the country, also don’t meet the qualifications to use Netfile.

They for sure mean 9

@stevdrop Thanks I did call the CRA and they said I should actually post it. I actually know 2/3 people IRL who have NETFILEd without any issue in their first year in Canada. It seems the official line is 'post it' but they will accept NETFILE for some people.

@reginafacenda It’s a bit hit and miss. I know some people who have been able to file online first year and some who haven’t. Can always give it a try and post if not. They take months to send your refund if you have one from a post return. Took my partner till end of July to get her refund from a post return the first year. I got mine in April. Good luck though!

@reginafacenda I've worked with international students filing their taxes for the first time and some of them were able to submit electronically - most of them got rejected and had to mail their return.