bella96

May I ask your help on some questions?

1) Is it better to purchase complete VT ETF shares or also fractions? (i.e. if I have 1000 USD I may buy 9 shares and have some USD left over, or I can force it to buy fractional shares with the remaining USD, I think). Any implications?

2) What fee option is better? Fixed or Tiered?
I went to the website and I get lost because I’m not sure if I need to look at the table for Switzerland in USD or US in USD (I’m CH resident but my account is with the US branch of IBKR).

3) Can one automate the system to send recurrent CHF to IBKR, make it convert to USD and then purchase VT shares with that? Or do you prefer to go manually?

Thanks and happy Sunday evening!
Edit: typos

@bella96 You can buy fractionals when doing a market order.

Tiered is significantly better as a retail investor.

Yes you can fully automate it, it even gets around the 2chf conversion fee that way. Only problem is that you can only specify a USD amount, so with fx changing by time, you have to adjust your value from time to time.

This is how you do it: set up a recurring transfer on ibkr -> get the details -> go i to your bank account and set up a monthy (or as you wish) schedule to transfer to ibkr -> on ib you go either to recurring investments or on VT‘s page and the set-up your prefered amount and schedule. You then can easily adjust the value any time.

You also buy fractionals this way, as it executes a market order on that day (it executes somewhere during the day)

@chinenyea OP, this is the answer.

I’m CH resident but my account is with the US branch of IBKR

Very strange as I'm a Swiss resident too, went from France and had to transfer my account from IBIE to IBUK which manages Swiss accounts

@andreia Hi! I opened the account at their site, at some point they asked whether I may be interested in trading crypto and I replied yes (I don’t, but I read that in this case, since their only branch where this is possible is US, they open your account in the US branch). In your set up, can you buy VT?