Question on Residence Premises with Liberty Mutual ?

nyki_t

1. Personal property owned or used by any insured is covered while it is anywhere in the world. When

personal property is usually located at an insured’s residence, other than the residence premises,

coverage is limited to 10% of the Coverage C limit. Personal property in a newly acquired principal

residence is not subject to this limitation for the 30 days immediately after you begin to move the

property there.

6. “Insured location” means:

a. the residence premises;

b. that part of any other premises, other structures and grounds, used by you as a residence and

which is shown in the Declarations. This includes any premises, structures and grounds which

are acquired by you during the policy period for your use as a residence;

c. any premises used by you in connection with the premises included in a. or b.;

d. any part of a premises not owned by any insured but where any insured is temporarily residing;

e. vacant land owned by or rented to any insured other than farmland;

f. land owned by or rented to any insured on which a one, two, three or four family dwelling is being

constructed as a residence for any insured;

g. individual or family cemetery plots or burial vaults of any insured; or

h. any part of a premises occasionally rented to any insured for other than business purposes.

14. “Residence premises” means:

a. the one or two family dwelling, other structures and grounds; or

b. that part of any other building;

where you reside and which is shown in the Declarations.

Hypothetically, if your car is broken into on the street in front of your apartment ? Is that residence premises or would that be considered offsite ?

@nyki_t
  1. “Residence premises” means:
a. the one or two family dwelling, other structures and grounds; or

b. that part of any other building;

where you reside and which is shown in the Declarations.

If your apartment is a "one or two family dwelling", then dwelling itself, other structures, and the grounds would be included in residence premises.

If your apartment is not a "one or two family dwelling", then your residence premises is "that part of any other building where you reside."

The street is not included in either definition of residence premises.

@bfastpool If I live in an apartment, gated in with a carport ? Would also my storage underneath my unit, since the carport is underneath my unit ? Would that count as residence premises ? I just want to make sure my stuff is covered or if I need to look for a policy that covers my stored stuff.

@nyki_t If the carport comes along with your apartment rent and is on the same property most likely it could be considered part of the residence premises…like a detached garage.

To be safe, I would calculate 10% if your limit and see if that is enough coverage. If not…raise the limit.

@nyki_t The way I read it it would be off-premises, so the 10% limit would apply.

We did have somebody in this sub about a year ago who had a renters policy where the premises was defined as those portions of the property to which they had exclusive use. They had an assigned parking spot where the car was when it was broken into, so I believe the consensus was that in that case it was "on premises" (or whatever the equivalent terminology was), the same as it would be in a homeowners policy in your garage or in your driveway.

If the car is parked in the street then it's pretty clearly not on the residence premises. Like if it was then how far off what you own is reasonable? Directly in front of the house?, 50 feet up the street? In front of the house but on the other side of the street? etc... Coverage decisions would be a nightmare.

If you want to make it gray, where coverage would seem to apply, you'd put the wheels of the car up on the curb (assuming that you own the land all the way to the street. Then the car is arguably on the residence premises. Be ready to prove it though. Or just don't leave valuable shit in the car.

Also the theft of a large amount of personal property from a vehicle is normally subjected to a high level of scrutiny as it is a popular fraud scenario.

@nyki_t On premises/off premises is not relevant. Your personal property is covered when it is on the resident premises (where you live and listed on the dec page) as well as any place in the world; except a 10% limit applies if your property is at another premises where you also reside, think a seasonal condo or a summer home. If it's in your car, at a hotel, at the beach, it's covered with no 10% limit. It really is that simple.

@nyki_t Your property is covered by your policy anywhere in the world. If your car is at the beach and it gets broken into and your Rolex gets stolen, it's covered. If your car is on the side of the road while you're at a restaurant and your purse gets stolen and a luggage bag gets stolen with all your clothes, your property is covered. If your car is parked in front of your apartment and someone breaks into it and steals your wallet, your phone, your iPad, your laptop, earrings, necklaces, and coats, the property is covered. Because your property is covered anywhere in the world.

Your car is a different story. Your property, is covered.