Question on insuring new drivers, divorced parents [IL]

marknordics

So I have two kids that just turned 15 (and are enrolled in drivers ed in their next school semester, so will be eligible for their permits in the next few weeks.) (IL is odd in that the permit is limited to being enrolled in a drivers ed class, so you can only get the permit within a certain time frame of the class starting. It's not 'only' based on age)

I called my insurance company, and they said that my kids don't need to be added to my insurance policy as drivers until they have actual licenses? That seemed odd to me? Is that right?

Their dad and I are divorced:

Situation 1 - they do not have their "own" dedicated car (e.g. his house has a car that is his, a car that is his wife's, but no separate car that is "just for them", my house has just my car) - assuming they have permission to use all of them, how is that handled?

Situation 2 - If we end up with a separate car for them to use (likely being one of either families hand-me-downs), how does that work? I assume it would be registered in either my name (or my ex's), so who insures the car, and how does that work? (e.g. if they end up with a hand-me-down from their dad, and it is registered in his name, how do I ensured they are covered on "my" time/for my car(s)?)

@marknordics Yes, they do not need to be added to anyone’s insurance until they are licensed. That’s IL law.

The custodial parent should add them to their insurance. The noncustodial parent shouldn’t have to add them but should ask their insurer. The custodial parent would also add the car.

@marknordics Get it in writing that they don’t have to be added. Make an email train showing you notified them.

Once they have their license you add them as occasional drivers to all of your vehicles no matter the scenario. In scenario 2 you pick one as the primary driver for the extra car and that’s it.

@rocki7 Some companies do not have an occasional use for direct family. Then they will need to be added to both policies. It’s always best to call the agent to verify these situations. State regulations also differ.

@marknordics One of the carriers I work for only one state (NC) can you list permitted drivers.

Also, depending on your carrier (and state) you have to inform them if anyone over the age of 14 regardless of driving status. They may put them on as a non-rated driver or not at all.

In regardless how divorce families handle stuff, in MI a child may only have one domicile residence that is the residence of whose policy they should be on etc. the other parent also out of good faith should inform their insurance carrier of the teen drivers in case they drive one of their vehicles as well.