@juanes The petrol car will still have a value after 3 years of ownership. When an electric car is outside warranty they are next to impossible to sell and very few dealers are taking as trade in. If you have a problem with the battery or motor outside of warranty then you will have a very heavy paperweight sitting on your driveway.

@tentmaker17 I’ve owned a Nissan leaf a few years back. I was lucky to get rid of it without losing to much on resale. It was before everybody copped on to how awful ev ownership can be. I had horrendous experiences after I got stuck in some very awkward situations with not enough charge to get to my destination and knocking on strangers doors asking to plug in and then waiting at charging stations for hours waiting in line to get enough charge to get home. I can think of better ways to spend my time. Definitely will not be pushed back into ev ownership again I can’t deal with the range anxiety it doesn’t matter how much cheaper it is to run. I much prefer been able to fill up and drive to my destination without worrying about getting home.

@hailwv I'm not trying to be a dick but isn't that more down to poor planning on your part? I do get it, it sucks to break down anywhere, especially when you can't just fill up and go and have to wait for it to charge

@hailwv Tbh that sounds more like poor planning on your part rather than a pitfall of owning an EV especially considering it seems to have happened to you more than once. e-208 range looks to be about 250km+ depending on conditions, with a little bit of forward thinking I'd be fairly confident I could get anywhere in the country safely.

@juanes Definitely not poor planning on any occasions. I actually enjoyed the challenge at the start of my ownership planning out my route and charging points etc, but when chargers aren’t working or your left sitting in traffic on the m50 and your watching your range disappear until you get the warning up on your screen that you have not enough charge left to get to the nearest charge point and your stomachs in knots believe me it is not fun and if you are new to ev ownership there will come a time when you will be in the same situation no matter how much you plan there will be real world situations that will cause a problem with your range and usually when it’s at the most inconvenient time.
We also had a major issue with the wiring on our house because of the power draw to charge the car over night which almost caused a fire.

@hailwv Absolutely is poor planning by you. I drive a big ICE at the moment but this EV bashing is ridiculous. First you obviously bought the wrong car if you were often running out of range, then you did not adapt driving/charging habits to make up for this and to top it off you imply that an EV is at fault for a potential house fire rather than your clearly unsafe wiring set up.

@southernyankee Far from an EV evangelist sure I don't even have one but just not a fan of irrational arguments that don't stack up to any sort of scrutiny being presented as solid arguments to stay away from EV, in this case, just because of poor planning and buying the wrong product somehow being the fault of said product.

@juanes I'd recommend a small engine petrol hybrid car as you do short journeys. You get the best of both worlds with a hybrid and they hold their value a lot better than full EVs. The deprecoation on a full EV would turn me off buying one. Diesel doesn't make sense for you.

@juanes Main thing is to have a driveway to charge in. Given your low mileage, you'd charge enough on the few hours of very low electricity rates overnight and end up saving money by byuing a new (to you) car. I'd recommend going for something a little cheaper (10-15k) such as a Hyundai Kona/Ioniq which will come better specced and offer more space/value.

@juanes The thing about electric car opinions, are there are two types. Those who have bought and used an EV for even a short period of time, and those who have not. So when you read people's opinions on this subject you have to try to decipher if the answer is coming from someone regurgitating an article from the paper (which in it'self may have been written by someone who is maybe anti-EV) vs someone who owns drives an EV.

@vulcanlogician I recently had to drive a 2014 merc diesel as a loaner car - it was like actually driving a tractor coming from an EV.
My point being that all the focus is on battery range etc when one of the biggest pluses is just how smooth and quiet they’re.

@juanes The value on electrics and hybrids are tanking in the UK and Ireland. I’d spend the €1000 on my Honda or else I’d upgrade to a newer Honda (petrol/diesel)

@joey101 Second hand hybrids and electric vehicles are not on the rise.

Some dealers are even refusing to take them as trade ins anymore due to potential battery/motor issues.

@juanes Personally think the infrastructure for electric cars and the hidden costs wouldn’t make it worth it compared to a nice 2010+ petrol or diesel that is taken care of and bought outright after saving a bit, don’t rush it. Just my opinion though.