PSA regarding the Wealthsimple 0.5% transfer promotion

alolbu

So, Wealthsimple had sent me an email regarding the 0.5% account transfer promotion. I've been a Questrade client for 9 years and have a decently large amount spread across all 3 of the major self-directed account types (RRSP, TFSA, taxable). r/JustBuyVGRO subscriber here.

Anyway, the promo enticed me. A free $2500 or whatever just to move my accounts over? Plus no ECN fees or commissions if I ever need to actually sell ETFs instead of buy. Sign me up. Yes I know QT has more advanced features but as someone who just buys VGRO once a month and then checks out, I don't need them.

Anyway, the point of this post: The fine print of the promotion says that if the bonus is paid into a registered account, it doesn't count as a contribution. I also confirmed on the phone that the bonus is not taxable if received in the Cash account (so it won't show on a T5). While the promo lists the accounts the bonus will be paid into in a sorted list (Cash account first) I was able to, during my phone conversation, specifically request that the bonus be paid into my self-directed TFSA instead, because why not? it lets me add a couple grand to it without it counting towards the contribution room.

Wealthsimple also stated that although it's not advertised as such, they were going to apply the 0.5% transfer bonus to money transferred into my cash account in February as well, so now I'm going to shove my emergency fund over there sooner than I'd been planning on.

EDIT: Based on the discussion below, I have reached out to WS again to explain the details of how the bonus doesn't count as a contribution based on the CRA's rules regarding TFSAs. If I hear back with details I will provide them here with a later edit.

EDIT 2: Here is some text Wealthsimple cited from the CRA regarding this:
  • 3.12 It is common practice for financial institutions and other firms in the investment industry to offer fee waivers, preferential pricing, bonus interest, and other promotional incentives. Often these incentives require the customer to satisfy certain criteria such as maintaining a minimum investment balance, having a minimum number of products, opening a new account, or investing additional funds. Where a customer’s registered plan is taken into account in determining eligibility, the incentive could be viewed as conditional on the existence of the plan. However, most conventional incentives are accommodated by one or more of the exceptions described in ¶3.7(a), (d), or (e). Examples 2 to 6 demonstrate common situations that are covered by these exceptions. In addition to not being treated as an advantage, the payments described in Examples 4 and 6 do not constitute a premium, gift, or contribution to the plan (as they are considered a return on investment). This ensures that such payments will not affect contribution limits or the registered status of the plans. In contrast, if a controlling individual directs that a referral bonus be paid into their registered plan, the payment will be considered to be a contribution or premium to the plan. A referral bonus is paid as a consequence of the relationship between the existing investor and the new investor. When a registered plan is involved, it is actually the controlling individual who earns the referral bonus, not the plan itself.
Source: https://www.canada.ca/en/revenue-ag...o-s3-f10-c3-advantages-rrsps-rrifs-tfsas.html

@trungnghia93 It's accurate. It's not a deposit.

Not so fun fact - if you only transfer over an RRSP and don't have a cash account, the promo money goes into your RRSP which means it will be taxed upon withdrawal. Best to be avoided.

@zango11 Yes, exactly. Either take the bonus in a TFSA or as cash. The RRSP would be the worst option because it can't be deducted (it wasn't a contribution) but would be taxed coming out later as you point out.

@alolbu So if I transfer for example $200k, 100k TFSA, 100K RRSP I can ask them to put the entire .05% (~1k) bonus in my TFSA and it wont count to my space?

@alolbu Did you ask after you created the TFSA and RRSP accounts, and initiated a transfer?

Also did you ask through their online chat or through phone?

I'm in a similar situation as you, as I want to move my TFSA and RRPS accounts to WS.

Thanks

@jimbone Based on the terms and conditions in the offer, you wouldn't even have to ask. It should happen by default, unless you also have a cash account.

@zango11 Always thought it was similarly weird how transaction fees effectively burn room in your registered account. I feel like it would have made a lot more sense if that money had to come from outside the account, in the same way to how here it would make sense for promotional money to be deposited outside of it.

@allart Yeah it’s weird. I realized that this year. I maxed my TFSA and have made some trades, realizing I’ll have to remove a few x 9.99 amount eventually. Ugh

@allart It would be nice, but you are using a "discount brokerage" and getting what you pay for. What you propose would add a lot of complexity, and if it is happening too much you can bet new legislation will come in the future to prohibit it.

You can hire a full service wealth manager and they can manage your TFSA while taking fees from your non-registered account. Their fee includes all transaction fees.

@alolbu
In contrast, if a controlling individual directs that a referral bonus be paid into their registered plan, the payment will be considered to be a contribution or premium to the plan.

If I'm understanding this correctly, that means that by you directing them to deposit the whole bonus into your TFSA, it would then count as a contribution?

So it seems like if you wanted to get the max bonus to go to your TFSA and not count as a contribution, the thing to do would be to transfer only TFSA and RRSP accounts.

@monde128 This is for referral bonuses, where one individual refers another individual. Wealthsimple indeed does have referral bonuses and the fine print for those does in fact say they count as contributions in registered accounts. This promotion is not a referral promotion.

"A referral bonus is paid as a consequence of the relationship between the existing investor and the new investor."

@alolbu Oh I see, the rest of that clause is making a distinction of what "earns" the bonus.

I'm going to have to look at this more, this looks like it could be worth a good chunk of change. Thanks Izzy!

@alolbu Yeah, this sounds super weird. Not saying it's wrong, just surprising. If a competitor, say Questrade, were to set up an identical deal would it not basically become an infinite registered account contribution glitch by just repeatedly moving money back and forth? Obviously in that scenario they'd probably introduce some kind of restriction, but still...