Provider reversing payment 7 months after visit

eakin

I have a marketplace plan beginning 1/1/18. Ive had different marketplace plans every year since 2015. In January i went the doctor. I just received a bill from the practice for the full amount. The bill shows my insurance paying zero dated 8/13/18. I called the doctors office and they told me my insurance reversed the payment claiming i have other "primary" insurance. So 7 months after the visit they determined they were my secondary insurance. The thing is i dont have any other insurance.

I contacted my insurance provider and they stated the same thing that i have a different primary insurance provider and proceed to tell me the name of a company im not familiar with. My insurance provider told me that they get the information from the marketplace. So i log into the marketplace and there is no mention of any other insurance.

My provider told me they are going to investigate and for me to call back in a week or so. Has anyone ever had something like this happen before? Is there a database or something i can search for my information? could someone be using my info to get insurance? or possibly someone with the same name and it flagged me for dual insurance?

@eakin Sounds like an identity mix up. Probably nothing you can do but wait, since you dont uave access to whatever data the insurance company is using. If they dont fix their own mistake, go to the state office of insurance

@eakin Call your insurance back and tell them you dont have that other policy OR get the policy number, company name etc and call the supposed other insurance yourself and see if they really do have you in their system