bluecheese

Hi guys,

I’m about to go sale agreed on a house in Hollystown for €458k. The house is Detached 3 bed 4 bath (2 en-suite). (The con is the location, very far from everything).

In the other hand, I have another house in a nice area of Lucan for €455k. The house is semi D, 3 bed 3 bath.

The first house is impressive, like movies house, but it’s very far from everything, the second house is more “normal” but it is in a mature state with many facilities.

Which of the houses would u go for?

@bluecheese I lived in Tyrrelstown for many years (which is right beside Hollystown and shares all the services and transport) and it was actually a bit of a nightmare. I drive, but spent a lot of time in traffic commuting to get to the M50. But it was manageable. However, when I wanted to commute on public transport after getting a job in town, it's shocking - one bus and it takes forever to get you to Parnell Street (1hr 20min in the morning). Hollystown also doesn't have local shops etc, so you drive into Tyrrelstown, which honestly is gone pretty anti-social. It's predominantly rental property. Also, one thing with Hollystown is how many houses are being built, so it will get a lot more built up. Personally, if going to a location far out, I would go to one with a train service. We were promised one, but it never came.

If it helps, the main reason I moved from there was that there is not really any nice places in the vicinity. Lockdown really showed this, walks consisted of walking through different housing estates or business parks. I've moved to an area now that I'm a 10 minute walk from a nice park, 15 minutes to the village and amenities and it has a train service. It makes life a lot more enjoyable. I also grew up in a suburb close to town, which is now on the Red Luas line, and it's only when I went home for a bit that I realised how far and underserved it was out in Tyrrelstown.

Hope some of this helps, but if you can find a good, well serviced location, and get a house you can do up over time, personally I think it beats the nice spacious houses. Best of luck!