question

My father has the capacity to give me both but due to some circumstances he’s only offering one.

I’m in my 30s. Currently unemployed. Living with a relative. I quit my corporate job last year to take a rest. I no longer get support from my father and I only have my savings with me. There’s a reason I’m no longer with my father but I can still reach out to him.

Professional camera - I’ll use this to build my portfolio and do freelance production works.

Bahay - he already said this last year that he’ll buy me a house (like the downpayment) but it didn’t pushed through, he got busy and I also resigned from work.

Option A: Go get that camera and build your porfolio (I’m kind of excited to do this tbh)

Option B: Get a job, so that I’ll have money to support having a property. (I’m cool where I live rn but eventually will have to move out in the future you know)

Option C to Z: I know it’s up to me to decide but I’ve seen how this community help each other. I wanna read your insights.

Thank you so much.

@question It's an interesting choice your father has given you: providing some help on two very different paths towards work/purpose/happiness. One could be very rewarding but requires you to find your own motivation and self-discipline if you want it to become a career. Very high risk that you don't push yourself enough and the camera eventually ends up unused on the shelf. The other (house) will force you to get moving/working, providing external motivation (mortgage payments). You'll build wealth, be more attractive to a potential spouse, but could lead to an unfulfilling life of working-to-pay-bills.

The world is full of people whose parents gave them a camera, a guitar, painting lessons, acting lessons, a typewriter... The tools for a creative life. Only a tiny percentage practice EVERY DAY and become skilled enough to make a career. Will you really be part of that tiny minority? Decide how serious you are, whether you really are capable of sustaining the internal motivation required to get good enough both at using your camera AND at selling yourself (as a photographer/videographer, content creator or artist).

Otherwise, consider if what you really need are responsibilities to get you moving and applying yourself. The house will do that.

@question Get a job so you have a steady income.

Take the camera. Build your portfolio during weekends and off hours. Start photography as a hobby or a side business. Don't go all-in unless you know that the business is sustainable.

Don't get the house. Owning and maintaining a house costs money. Don't own a house until you have a steady income and are sure you can afford it.

@question Have you taken photos professionally before?

Is it a livable wage including depreciation cost?

If you’re still learning then I suggest you take the safer route. If you have solid experience then you can risk it.

@question Did I get this right? If house, your father will only pay for the downpayment and you will need to cover the rest? If I were in your shoes, I would go build my portfolio first and still keeping it low profile given that I am living with relatives. Also, make an arrangement with your dad na not to tell your relatives that he bought you an expensive camera. This is just me, I want to keep low profile and let others think na I am broke.

I will be 100% sure with the portfolio building if this is my passion. Then slowly move out from relatives house, better if rent nearer sa usual gigs mo. Saves you time and energy.

Home ownership for me requires a bit more energy than renting because you will have to keep up with mortgage, dues, and even taxes.

@christnme Yes, you got it right. He’s willing to pay for the downpayment, the rest will be shouldered by me. I’m still traumatized from my previous corporate job so as much as possible I don’t wanna come back from the time being. I agree with being low profile. Thank you!

@question Since you don't have the capability to pay for the rest of the house, would it be possible to get cash instead, which you can use to turn your life around?

@question camera since pwede pagkakitaan unlike sa bahay na liabilities lang kasi magbabayad ka pa monthly. makakabili ka pa naman nyan pagumokay yung kitaan mo sa camera

@question If you are confident you can get a work from home job (to keep daily expenses down) that can pay for the downpayment and leave you enough for bills, savings for cam, savings for camera etc then go. If not I say camera.

@amber101 That’s what I’m thinking. I’m afraid of getting a house but not have the capacity to shoulder the other expenses. Downpayment kasi ang offer ng father ko. Eh as of the moment I’m unemployed.

@question maybe try asking your dad if instead na down payment ng house, pwedeng lupa nalang. Then, get a camera, build your portfolio and income, and then have your own house built?

@question
I’ll use this to build my portfolio and do freelance production works.

May experience ka na mag freelance production works and this camera is just better than your current one o maguumpisa ka palang magtry magfreelance?

May laptop ka narin ba at other necessary production setup?

@gregory95 I had side gigs before and right now I have campaigns about to start next month. May friends din ako sa industry urging me to do prod, usually they want me on the admin side but this time I wanna do the action. I have M1 Pro with me. Wala pa me masyado for studio settings so I’m aiming for coverage or shoots outside. I have a camera right now but it’s for basic, don’t get me wrong it’s still great, I still plan of keeping it and use it.

@question Uhm, SKL if you are gunning to be a professional photographer/videographer. Those gears are almost as expensive as downpayment sa bahay or even more.

for context I am a wedding photog, my gears including my laptop are about 250-300k.