Pro Tip: Never invest with Robo stocks in a non-registered account

@coolant Doesn't that defeat the purpose of a Robo advisor?

Isn't a "robo advisor" supposed to be easier than doing it yourself, yet you have to spend hours to figure out your cost basis..

@66bookssss They do automated rebalancing and investment decisions based on the client’s risk profile.

It’s unusual for a portfolio manager to calculate the acb for a client although I imagine it does happen somewhere.

@resjudicata Some of the expensive ones like RBC Wealth Management point out in their docs that the ACB is solely the responsibility of the client and any provided ACB is strictly for “informational purposes” and may be wrong due to the client’s specific tax situation.

@coolant They say that, because if you own the same things in a different non-registered account, your cost basis is a weighted average across your holdings of /all/ accounts, so they don't want to be liable for calculating it wrong when you have a lot of units of an ETF in another account.

@lucaannibale Precisely, the wealth management firm doesn’t have the data to be able to ensure a correct ACB calculation. This is why it’s left to the client to calculate.

@resjudicata Nah, you're good. Doesn't matter what happens within a TFSA, all tax free. Set up a regular deposit DCA, and only look at it when you need to plan withdrawals. Set and forget.

@rickyd213 It is. There is some key differences between them. TFSA, you can draw down at anytime. RRSP isn't something that you draw down until retirement, at which time it is converted to a RRIF and you willl pay income tax on your withdrawals.

For contributions to an RRSP, you pay tax at withdrawal and receive a refund at your applicable rate on the year of contribution.

For a TFSA, contributions are net of tax, and you pay no tax on withdrawal.

RRSP can also be used for the home buyers plan. It allows you to make tax free withdrawals, to cover a deposit of your first house, and you have 15 years to pay it back.

@66bookssss I’m confused by this post. WS provides the slips every year. Been doing this for 5 years with biweekly contributions (I buy only, never sell)