Prior MC enlisted to AF officer pay?

pippideb

I did 4 years active duty in the Marines e-1 to e-4 and now e-5 in the irr (if that matters at all). I am currently using the post 9/11 GI bill to fund my education and am starting Air Force rotc in a few weeks in hopes to commission. Am curious when all said and done would the Air Force O-1 pay with 4 years prior service in the Marines be higher than normal O-1 pay? Or would those 4 years not count due to it being a separate branch? I tried google but couldn’t find a solid answer.

@00saved777 Actually, that's right on the cusp of a potential oopsie. Out of any 4 years, one is a leap year...which means exactly 4 years is 1461 days. Unless the reg is written in such a way that a year is 365 days and we consider the leap days a wash.

edit: FMR 7a.1 literally just says "at least 4 years and 1 day" so this one might be iffy depending on how someone at DFAS interprets that. I think as prior E you count as enlisted while in OTS so it should be fine, but not 100% on that if there was a break in service.

@resjudicata Yea OP is doing ROTC which doesn't count, so he may be getting some devastating news about this subject. I genuinely believe he's 1 day short unless the leap day is not a factor.

@pippideb The comments regarding your IRR time counting as TIS are partially true. If you are on a ROTC scholarship, your IRR time counting towards your TIS stops the day you begin your scholarship.

Example, 4 years AD + 2 years IRR, then you begin your ROTC scholarship --- when you commission, you will have 4 years of AD time that counts towards your 20-year requirement but your TIS will be 6 years for pay purposes.

@pippideb Ok I've seen a lot of comments giving incorrect information on this thread OP.

For O1E pay you need 4 years and 1 day of Active service.

In the Air Force, OTS counts for active service, but ROTC does not.

IRR does not count as active service for O1E pay considerations. So if you have exactly 1,461 days, that's 365x4, +1 day. Assuming the standard leap year.

Thus calcstion may very well end up 1 day short of qualifying for O1E.

I would check with a finance, DFAS, or your ROTC det. office to be sure, but based on the information you have provided you are likely 1 day short.

This is an expectation management post because I believe you're getting false hope from some other posters.