Prior Authorization Denied - Can I file an appeal or can this only be done by my son’s healthcare provider?

anthompson87

tl;dr: Can I personally appeal the denied prior authorization for my son’s speciality medication, or must it be done by his doctor?

Long Version: My son has a genetic growth condition and requires growth hormone treatment until the conclusion of puberty. This treatment is essential to his growth, development of both muscle mass and bone density, reduces hypoglycemia and more. He began growth hormone treatment around his 2nd birthday (approx 9 years ago) and has significantly benefited from the it.

About 8 years ago, I switched jobs and within 2 years, the company went out of business. Due to my profession, it was difficult to find work in my industry and with the IT system I’ve built my career on. As a result, I worked for 2 other companies before landing the perfect role almost a year ago.

My son’s doctor has expressed a lot of frustration regarding the paperwork that has been done to authorize my son’s medication each time I changed employers Counting my initial and current employer, she’s had to submit prior authorizations 5x. She has said that if I were lose my job or find new employment, she will would no longer treat my son. While I completely understand her frustrations, this is only the 2nd time we’ve been denied and have had to appeal a decision, the 1st of which was eventually approved by an external independent review.

When the prior authorization was denied with my current employer, it was never appealed because one wasn’t submitted within the 180 day time frame. A 2nd Prior Authorization was submitted and denied 6 weeks ago. Since then, I’ve been unable to get my son’s doctor to submit the appeal. All but 1 attempt to obtain an update have gone unanswered. The one response I did get was, “I’ll look into and get back to you.” This was on Monday (a month after the denial)

, and I’ve yet to hear back and my requests for an update have gone unanswered.

My son has been off his growth hormone treatment for almost 8 months now and started puberty (meaning the window of treatment is quickly closing). Meanwhile, the drug manufacturer may be able to provide him with interim medication during the appeal process, but a copy of the appeal is needed for them to assist us, which has yet to be submitted.

I feel like I’m at the mercy of his doctor, who I feel is punishing us due to her frustration over having to get the medication approved 5x. Regardless of her frustrations with me, my son shouldn’t have to go without treatment because of my job history.

Furthermore, there isn’t a single doctor who treats his condition within 500 miles of us. In fact, there are only a handful of doctors in the world that do.

I’m at my wits end here, which leads me to my question. Am I able to appeal the denied prior authorization for his speciality medication, or must it be done by my son’s doctor? I have all of the notes and verbiage needed to do it on my own, thanks to the detailed information on the patient portal if I’m permitted in o submit the appeal.

TIA!

@anthompson87 You definitely have the option to appeal yourself. I filed an appeal on behalf of a patient today (Caremark insurance) and it gave the option for the patient to appeal

@anthompson87 Yes you can always appeal. Just make sure you’re within the deadline to appeal (usually 6 months or so) and if not, redo the auth and when it denies, appeal it immediately.

@anthompson87 You can file your own appeal.

Can I ask how many office visits you have had for your son in the last couple of years? I ask, because your doctors frustration might be with uncompensated work. Insurance does not pay for their time dealing with PA or appeals. However, they do get compensated for office visits.

You might even want to schedule an office visit for a check up and come in with prefilled appeals paperwork to ease the burden on the provider.

@logicweb040 We’ve have quarterly checkups, so at 4x a year for the last 9 years.

I do understand that the paperwork that comes with dealing with insurance company is endless and time consuming so I sympathize with her frustration. Heck, I’d pay her extra for the paperwork if it meant getting my son back on his medication.

I’ve asked on multiple occasions to let me know if there is anything I can do to help speed along the process so I’m surprised she hasn’t mentioned that I’m able to submit it.

Unfortunately, our next appointment isn’t until March and I’d hate to wait that long to start the process, since we’ll likely only have a chance of getting it approved through the independent external review. Maybe she’d agree to an appointment sooner for the sake of sorting this out so she’s paid? Not sure if that’s legal though.

@anthompson87 PA's are a pain in the ass, but the doctor should certainly be handling this is in a timely manner.

I would call the office and ask for the next available appointment. Don't mention it specifically when making the request, but use the appointment time to discuss the importance of the medication and asking how you can help to get it approved.

@anthompson87 You CAN file an appeal. Typically, it's better if the provider requesting the aith does the appeal because they will have clinical information that you may not have access to. They'll also be able to explain why they feel like the requested service is necessary as opposed to another service the insurance may want you to try. Prior authorization is a major part of health insurance that seriously needs some sort of government intervention. It's too difficult for providers and patients to determine what needs auth and what the prerequisites for the auth are. Even if you meet said requirements, the insurance may still deny the authorization.

@lisztlover She actually had read us the what she wrote for the appeal during our last visit, unaware that the ability to appeal the first decision had expired. She only has 1 assistant so I’m sure she’s swamped. I’m going to call Cigna and make sure I can submit the appeal first, if yes, I’ll see if she’d be willing to send me what she had written and submit the appeal.