Potential Life Insurance options for my Father (65) recently placed in Assisted Living

quixote23

Apologies for posting from a throwaway account.

Hoping you guys might be able to help me out because I’m at a total loss. My father (65) is currently in a AL facility as his health has recently deteriorated to a point where we were advised he can no longer live on his own and I am helping my mother (now separated) get some finances and other things in order. From what we’ve been able to gather, he had an existing 20 year term policy with that recently expired and is now year-to-year meaning his premium is no longer affordable (now over $18k/year). We looked into converting it into a whole life policy but everything I’ve read said to stay away from those. We also found another Combo 20 policy with that expires in 2029 that we plan on keeping as it’s for the same amount the term life policy was for. Odd thing is, it has the same exact policy number as the one with which leads me to believe they’re somehow connected. It’s worth noting that the Combo 20 policy is convertible at any time prior to his 70th birthday.

His health should actually improve now that he’s supervised but I’m not completely confident he could complete a questionnaire on his own and I would have to arrange travel for him to and from a doctors for an evaluation as I live over 7 hours away. I’d like to make sure there is some coverage for current debts in the event of his passing, but don’t really know what to do. Keep the Combo 20 only? Look into Guaranteed Issue or Final Expense? Based on his health in the past, I highly doubt anyone would issue him a new term life policy, especially at 65. Any help or pointers in the right direction would be greatly appreciated.

@quixote23 If you want to keep coverage on him conversion is probably going to be the best option. Is the only option whole life? What company is it?

The cost of the term policy is going to increase every year with big increases as he gets into his 80’s.

You could look at selling the policy as well if you don’t want the coverage. 65 is a little young for that though.

@quixote23 GI is your best bet. That being said, if they see his address on the app and it is a known, commercial care facility and then they see that you marked 'no' to that on the questions, you're looking at potential problems.

@quixote23 Why stay away from whole life? If you bought a GI policy - it would be whole life.

To be blunt: You need to treat this like a business decision. Determine your father’s life expectancy, figure out costs moving forward of maintaining the existing policies, figure out the costs of new options then weigh all that against your needs.