Please help: Tips for handling fire claim

angouleme1

My partner had been living in a single family home that was turned into a duplex. Very old house (probably about 100 years old). Yesterday early morning, we got a call while at my place from his roommate that the entire upstairs portion of the house was engulfed in flames. Unfortunately, one of the roommates up there died in the fire. It was a devastating fire that destroyed the entirety of the upper unit.

The bottom unit (my partner and his roommates) had a burned wall, but the majority of the damage is water due to the fire hosing. It is pretty much flooded while the ceiling showing bad distress in certain areas. Lots of electronics, bedding, and various belongings are damaged.

KEY FACTS:
- Fire dept. has yet to release official report. Cause of fire is being investigated. There is a lot of speculation as to whether it was the landlords fault or something in the unit caused it.
- Partner filed a claim today with his insurance
- Partner waiting to hear from an adjuster.
- We’ve moved a lot of his stuff into my apartment
- His insurance is getting him a hotel tomorrow
- They still need to investigate his policy
- His roommate has also started the claim process

If anyone has ANY experience handling renters insurance or what to expect from the adjusters of other parties involved, I would truly appreciate any tips, no matter how simple they are. Thank you.

@angouleme1 This is a serious fire and I am sorry for your loss. I hope you are well and healing. I understand if you don’t wish to revisit this horrific event but if you have any update or information about the process, it would be appreciated. I’ve made a recent fire claim and a 3rd party salvage company just hauled everything out of my apartment for evaluation. I have no idea what to say or how to maximize the claim. I have 12 months hotel accommodations so I am safe for now. Thank you for any light you can shed. Please ignore if answering the question is too triggering.