PhD student [F] and Senior Web Developer [M] cohabiting - who is better to apply for home insurance?

emdie

I (26, female, PhD student, great credit) live with my boyfriend (30, male, 2 kids, senior developer with a large company, bad credit). We want to get home insurance for our apartment (for things like instruments, computers, sound system, books, etc.). We are with different banks (RBC, Scotia, and TD). We are not civil partners or anything like that. Should we apply together for home insurance, or separately? If separately, which one of us is likely to have the better rate? Thanks!

@emdie The rate shouldn't change based on who is paying for it. You're insuring the exact same things. You'll have to tell them about all the occupants of the home.

@emdie The only significant discounts I know of would be if you are part of a professional body. e.g. Law Society of Canada, College of Family Physicians or even Ontario Society of Professional Engineers.

Outside of that I don't think it matters. You can always just call in and ask if your PhD qualifies you for any discounts.

Thanks everyone ... Sounds like it should be me, but if he has time I'll get him to apply too, and we'll compare rates.