Ph.D. student's budget vs life in Vienna

@themadbaron Yes, I was super lucky I think. It is in math, focused on theoretical comp sci: algorithm theory and stuff like that. Tbh I am not sure exactly what I will be working on yet!

@resjudicata The lower limit is not much higher but nevertheless more like gross 2500€. The thing is there are offers with much higher upper limit, some over 4000€ and as a result there are more offers in mid-range around 3000–3400€. Haven't really looked into German tax system though so there may be a catch about net being lower than expected (so more comparable to Austria).

@reemal 2500x14 vs. 4000x12

also, use tax calulators online to check real net difference - it shrinks even further cause of German taxes being higher. Also, then consider the difference you would have to pay for a 2 room apartment in Berlin vs Vienna.

It's close to a wash.

@resjudicata Universities in Germany usually offer or have the option accomodations. Especially in Berlin you would probably stay in a student dormitory and pay 200-300€/month in rent with water, WiFi, electricity included.

@reemal The biggest living expense is rent. All of the other stuffs are easy to cut. Living in a big city is not ideal as a principle. It's better to commute.

@james2333 Disagree completely about commuting. I am a city animal so I actually prefer to commute out of the city to work if I have to but already be in the city in my free time because on weekends I'd end up in the city anyway. I grew up in the country and the thought of having to drive to the town to get any single small thing done is disgusting.

@james2333 Surviving in Austria is not the same as surviving in Vienna. No matter where I look Vienna and Salzburg are way more expensive than anywhere else.

@reemal Use https://bruttonetto.arbeiterkammer.at/ for the gross/net calculation.

You will end up with something like ~23k net yearly. Not high-life but very easy.

A family of three can get along very-very comfortably from 2300€ a month, where 1200€ goes into rent and utilities.

You can get a nice 40-50 m[sup]2[/sup] apartment for as low as 600-700€, depending on the preferred district. Look around willhaben.at to get a feeling.

Public transport is cheap and well designed in Vienna, don't be afraid from commute.

@httx That's actually the calculator I ended up using before writing the post.

Not afraid of public transport at all, a huge fan actually. I hate driving. One of the positions I applied for would actually be 25 minutes away from the city but the employer provides a shuttle bus service (I don't know any more details yet but where the bus starts could impact district preferences).

The problem is my German is not that good and I'm scared it could be a problem while renting a flat.

@reemal It's easy to get things done in English in Vienna. Many friends rented a place in English, including myself when i moved here.

@reemal it's manageable especially if you're willing to find a room-mate. it's possible to keep your expenses low if you shop at the right places (hofer, lidl v. billa plus, hohe markt) and don't eat out too often

@reemal Seeing all these comments I'm once again stunned at the level of Austrian activity on this sub. Anyway, others have already covered most of what I would have said, but just on the point of living alone vs. with others, I would say that while young people in Vienna are like young people anywhere else, Vienna is not exactly a student party town, so even though I know you want to live alone, worst case scenario I'm sure you could find plenty of sensible quiet people to share with. Good luck to you.