Pension L&G fund- shall I redistribute allocations of current pot whilst I’m still young ?

reowen

My background- I am 36 years old and planning to retire latest 55 years old.

So I changed me pension allocation for future contribution to higher risk with 80pc in the world equity index 3 (ex-Uk) fund and the rest between emerging markets index fund / smaller companies index fund and uk equity index 3 fund. This has led to a huge gain in the last 7 months or so where I’ve managed a 16pc increased vs the usual 7 pc I was making over last 10 years at my company work for.

My current pension allocation which was originally 100pc in a 2055-2060 target date fund 3 is still as it is ( so basically kept it safe as I’ve banked this money but taking the risk on full equities on future contributions which obviously starts small (£700 month I pay in total).

Basically is it worth me distributing my old pension pot into more equities ? So instead of leaving the old pot in a safe 2055-2060 target fund 3 where basically 90pc of its value is, is it worth doing say 50pc in equities. And leave the 50pc in the 2055-2060 target fund whilst I’m young ?

The reason I didn’t change the current pot allocation 7 months ago was because I thought market would drop but it’s gone up, obviously timing market rarely works but with say £70k current pot I wasn’t sure what to do as it’s a bigger chunk to play with rather than dollar cost averaging £700 contributions monthly like I’m doing which is safer

@reowen I'd redistribute 100% in to the World Equity Index, as I assume that will include Emerging Markets and Small Caps anyway, and then redistribute some of it to the Target Date fund closer to retirement if you wish.

Or 95% World Equity ex-UK, 5% UK Equity.

@billiemae Sounds good, yeah world equity ex uk has been my big gains on my future contributions…. Is it worth changing my old current pension pot into 95pc world equity ex uk and 5pc in uk…. I think regardless majority in world equity ex uk is good, lot of it is in us stock market which is a huge gain for us

@billiemae Thanks yeah, I mean over 20 years left to go most likely stock market is going up, so maybe the best bet . I’m slightly risk adverse considering it’s my pension over 10 years that’s built up. I was considering 50pc in the target retirement fund 2055-2060 and then 45pc in world equity ex uk fund and 5pc in uk equity fund or is that being too cautious ?

@reowen For me that's too cautious, but if you'd feel more comfortable doing that then that's fine.

And it doesn't matter that it's 10 years of pension build up, what matters is the future.

If you had £0 in your pension right now and had a lump sum to invest, would you go 50/50 or 100% equities? Answer that question and there you go!

@billiemae Go 100pc all equities, I worked out over 10 years my pension increased by £7k from the value I put in. Pretty damn poor!! It’s gone up over £12-13 k since then and I only modified the future contributions into all equities so only had a real noticeable jump in 2023. All these years kind of wasted for gains but least I know now!

@reowen Yes, you’re at least 20 years off retirement so can take the higher risk investments. It’s safe to go all equities at this point. You can then shift your risk when you are closer to retirement, if you wish.

I wouldn’t try to manually allocate across a mix of funds, however. You are better off just picking a global equity index fund if you want to diversify across markets. Your particular mix of funds is unlikely to beat the index.

Damien talks money YT channel has posted some useful pensions material recently. You might want to take a look at