[Pennsylvania] 402(b) Appeal Success

bigb0ss

I successfully appealed a 402(b) ruling. This section of PA UC law states you must have a good enough reason - “of a necessitous and compelling nature” - to voluntarily quit your job.

I experienced burnout from working 12-16 hour days regularly. I quit in March 2023 and assumed that I would be ineligible for UC. A family friend suggested that I apply under 402(b).

I submitted my claim in July, citing the work hours. In September, I received a ruling that I was ineligible. The ruling said that my working at the company for x months was my acceptance of the arrangement. I submitted an appeal.

In October, I received notice of a scheduled in person hearing. I did not qualify for free legal aid and could not afford fees, so I prepared everything myself.

In November, I went to the hearing and met with the referee who would review my documents. There was no representative present from my employer. I read a personal statement with the following:

- I was told in the interview that the hours were reasonable, averaging around 40 hours a week

- when I realized it would be much longer hours, I regularly communicated to my manager that it was not sustainable
- I tried multiple strategies to lighten my workload but none worked

I also submitted witness statements from the following:

- coworker who reported to the same manager

- executive in the same industry attesting to how extreme my work hours were

- therapist on how the work hours impacted my depression

I did not have any other documentation from my time with that company to submit. I received notice the next day that I had won my appeal and I would begin receiving UC. I got the first check (with retro catchup) a couple weeks later.

TLDR: I proved that I had no choice but to quit my job. If your job is really impacting your well-being, it is possible to quit and still get UC.

@bigb0ss It is possible, but where most claimants fail is not being able to document the working conditions, that they notified their employer, and that they had no choice but to quit after their employer failed to resolve the issue. You know what most people do? (Rage) Quit first, and then try to make a case later. You made a sincere attempt to continue working and documented your case concisely and credibly. Kudos to you! And I hope more claimants follow your stride.