Paying off entire mortgage, don’t want to mess it up

@asjasj123 There always is since the documents they have to file to remove the mortgage from your property register incur a fee. They aren’t eating that. Your mortgage disclosure has the fee listed.

@rhandi I don't think so. Did you gat a notice of final statement and ownership. Did you get Notarized documents from the bank or through your own Notary Public ( Quebec ) stating you were now the owner ( along with the deeds - property tittles) If not, get them. When we paid off our house, decades ago in Quebec, we received all these...

@mornevh I can totally understand no congrats from the lenders. They'd prefer if you were indebted to them longer while still making payments. You don't make a ton of money from responsibly financially savvy people.

@dawnbirduk RRSP is tax deferred, not tax free. If you have high enough income to make the RRSP deduction likely that advantageous in long run, then you can probably afford to both max RRSP + TFSA and pay down some of mortgage early.

If your income is not that high probably better to just pile into mortgage at this point IMO, certainly safer and better for sleep

@ipurr2 Paying down a mortgage doesn’t quite feel the same when your home value is less than your mortgage balance 😅

I do agree that it’s hard to beat a guaranteed 6% post-tax return but the math should be done on the average rate across the life of the mortgage, not necessarily current rates. Of course no one really knows what that number is but it’s likely less than 6%. Our current economic model is unsustainable at these rates.