panic, bit of help w/ self-assessment for HMRC

gunaraj1651

so my business was always basically on its last legs, and died early on in the tax year.

I probably earned few hundred, tops.

Then I did technically self-employed jobs that various temp agencies gave me, as well as Grafternow.com, with whom I am still technically self-employed.

Thing is, how do I explain that I don't have a business name for the agency jobs, and what other things do I have to consider, once I start writing it up?

And yes , I've left it late. There's issues.

Any help, much appreciated!

@gunaraj1651 If you were working for yourself through the various agencies then you can just put your name down as the business name. It's you as a business.

I'm not an accountant but unless it asks you to seperate them, you can just total the income from the self employed agencies work and put down a single figure. As long as you have your own records that shows what came from where, expenses and so on, you shouldn't have any issues should HMRC enquire.

Worse comes to worst, submit an accurate self assessment as you can, pay what you believe is the right figure. Give it a few days for HMRC to be able to see it, give them a ring and ask if you're unsure you've put figures in the right boxes.

You have up to 1 year to amend the tax return.

Do pay what you can today though, again if you change your figures later, you can pay the difference. Just don't leave it too late as there'll be a small amount of interest added on top.