P&G takes $8 billion write-down on Gillette

@maheshwari People are tired of paying those razor blade prices. I clean shave on occasion now, got a trimmer, look a bit rugged once in a while luckily job doesn't require business formal everyday. Wonder if those monthly online delivery blades are worth it, not that I need new ones each month.

@tory I use Dollar Shave Club and they ship me 4 razors every other month. Super cheap, and I've never had an issue with their quality.

@tory Harry's started offering their products at the Wal-Mart near where I live, so I'm going to give them a shot when my current set dulls.

I'm not sure you'd save a tangible amount going online vs in-store since there are a lot of cheaper brands appearing in-store as well, but I guess the deciding factor will be quality.

@thytotodile The ad had little impact on their bottom line. Customers figuring out that there are way cheaper alternatives along with society becoming more accepting of the non-clean shaven man is what is hurting their bottom line.

Many Professionals are no longer expected to shave daily compared to the past as dress codes have become less strict which means fewer shaves and fewer razor blade purchases. Combine that will multiple competitors undercutting Gillette in price means lots of lost business.

@resjudicata
The ad had little impact on their bottom line.

Incorrect. Almost every man I know stopped buying Gillette products (some went as far as to avoid P&G) - myself included. We all have the same reason - the ads.

I didn't care about price or anything, so it wasn't that other brands were cheaper. In fact, I honestly couldn't tell you how much it costs, although I had been buying them for 20 years. I just..never checked the price.

They went waaaaaay too far with their BS and what happened was that they upset a majority to try to appeal to a minority that wasn't going to buy their products anyway.

They fucked up and they won't admit it. Fine with me, I already switched - and it actually took some effort to even find out about other brands.

@peaceandquiet Do you know what a "write-off" is?

Well it's just like that, but downward.

Joking aside, it's when a company notes a material change in asset values it carries on its books. So this whole time, P&G was reporting Gillette at an estimated worth of X. But due to "unforeseen" developments, now has reason to believe it should be valued at $8B less.