P&C agents back me up on this?

@sarah333 Scientologists have this theory on educating people. They say if someone doesn’t understand a word, that person cannot comprehend anything that comes after the misunderstood word.

As much as I loathe Scientology, I believe they are correct here. Think about the terminology insurance companies use and how educated laymen are. It’s easy to get lost.

There are plenty of clients I have spent hours with helping them understand ideas and terminology. Sure some just don’t get it, but if you take the time to sit down and really break it down for them, most will get it.

@qbprays I agree with your first paragraph. Insurance forms are confusing because they're legal documents. Once they're tested in court, they'll add or remove more language. It's confusing because all legal documents are vaguely confusing.

@resjudicata I do understand that aspect, but my issue is with lack of education in regard to basic terms used in the insurance world. I think maybe 5% of my clients understand actual cash value versus replacement cost, and how they affect claims.

@qbprays I agree. I really think this comes down to an education issue. I prove my value by explaining these things to a client. That's most of my job. People forget that they're helping someone with their largest assets. Of course, they're going to ask questions. Someone with a new sports car is excited. Let him tell you about it. The older couple on a fixed income does have a legitimate concern. These people paid my bills for years. I'm not going to mock them for not knowing how insurance works. The lady who'd call me drunk once a month to complain about how her home insurance is too expensive is a different story. We fired her as a client.