Opinion on buying house in BLR

sethk

I’m 25M, i have savings around 55L(including PF) and most of it is invested somewhere in form of equity, debt or bank deposits. I don’t have dependents as such, mother is a government employee and father has a small business and younger brother is also employed. My family is suggesting me to buy a 2 bhk in BLR. I’ve 3 years of experience as of now. Take home is good(slightly upper side of 2L) for now, I’m working in a very early stage business for growth. So i can improve take home easily by switching into an MnC. Now the 2 bhk that I would like to buy will cost more than 1 cr easily. My mom also wants to put in her savings in my flat cuz it’s staying in bank deposits only. Will it be right to buy a home in this case, let’s say I’m not going out of BLR for atleast 5 years and i will get married in 3 years and we don’t own a car yet but I would like to buy one second hand for my convenience.

P.S. I take my career very seriously so i wanna take risks as I’m young now. I have left one MnC to join small startup with good growth prospects. I don’t really want to switch things for only money.

@sethk If your risks are limited to working in startups or compromising somewhat on salary, then I think you could be fine. You have good financial support. However, if you plan to start something for your own, then debt trap is a big big no. However low the EMI be, you won't be able to afford career gap or loss of salary and forget about saving a big amount to invest in your startup.

@sethk I never thought that was possible , but if you are doing it and are interested in saving tax , than why not take a home loan ( interest rate almost borders inflation ) and take tax benifit too

@redwards12 That’s what my actual question is “should I be buying it?”. Most of the people I’ve talked to in startup industry don’t consider investing in real estate as a viable option. I want a different perspective on this. My wedding will probably cost me a good amount if I’m not wrong. So that’s the issue here.

@sethk great job dude.You have really came a long way in terms of your saving amount at such a young age.I am exactly same age as you and I am still not even close to that figure.But just curious,why do you feel you need to invest hefty amount for your wedding program which happens for a day or two and people are going to forget everything once they fill their stomach and go home.Probably they would also try to point out even small shortcomings and will make big issue out of it behind your back.I know this is unrelated to what you asked but I just want to get a perspective on this as I never have been able to make sense about this.

@resjudicata I’m also in the process around making sense of this though. I have assumed it in the worst case possible that’s it. I used to have same opinion as you that why we need a wedding? As later i have observed some societal norms after college, I am recollecting my thoughts around this. I think with time the clarity will come. For now, I’ve just assumed for a general case.