NPS - Is it a good choice? (If liquidity is not an issue)

@felipesaron Thanks for pointing this out. These are some of the pointers that don't actually brought up in usual conversation about NPS.

This makes it a viable option for anyone who has to go through bankruptcy or divorce proceedings

@giobob If liquidity and Annuity clause doesn't apply, it is a cheap customized hybrid fund.
  • it is not good for someone who actively invests on individual stocks and stock traders.
  • regret of missed opportunities where the locked amount could be put to work.
  • you can pay tax and spend money however you want.

@pinkrain Yep. Imo they should give us the option of having an nps demat account where we can invest in equities and etfs like a regular demat account. Anything that's sold goes into that nps "wallet" which we can use to buy other funds or keep in the wallet if we want. That will be a useful option for some investors. It's only a nice to have feature though, not as important as early withdrawal with penalties and removal of annuities.

@giobob That's it for me really. I don't want the annuity and lock in. If I can withdraw early (charge taxes as a penalty no problem) and remove the forced annuity as a requirement then I'll invest. My company also offers this corporate tax free nps plan.

@giobob I started late in NPS (personal : 2018, employer : 2020) but since it saves 30% tax, maximising it with 50k personal and 10% employer. Although I was buoyant about NPS but now I am sceptical since the returns on normal MF may be better in long run. Personally I prefer something which has lockin period of a long time and I am positive that NPS will have more/better withdrawal options in future.

@giobob Max (extra) tax break you get from NPS is 50K i think. So 10K per month is a bit much.

However, in specific cases, it makes sense to put some money in NPS. It is a good investment option for a lot of people.