Not renewed after 3 claims. Now uninsurable

yayas

Bought our house in 2018. Had 3 losses 7/2020 water leak and damage, 9/2022 theft and 11/2022 water leak and damage. We were not renewed and after speaking to many agencies and brokers the past two months no one will cover us. Tried the fair plan act in California and was denied as well citing our losses.

Obviously we learned our lesson that filing claims leads to being uninsurable, but the water claims were 8k and 14K. In hindsight we would not have filed for theft. Or at this point even the 8k.

I am guessing that the only option at this point is to let our lender know and they will find forced coverage? Any other advice? How long until we can find regular insurance again? 3-5 years?

More info: Our last house was new construction. No claims for 8 years. Current house is 1960s ranch house with pipes under the slab. We replumbed our hot water with the first claim and broken pipe in bathroom under slab. Wish we’d done cold too and it will be the course of action to prevent more issues hopefully.

The second water claim was a drainage pipe that went from sink to sewer line that had rotted out under our kitchen floor. Yuck water was coming up between the tiles. Because we have tile from one end of house to the other the whole floor had to be retiled. We bought many extra tiles so any future issue is localized repair only if god forbid it happens again.

We used our insurance not foreseeing the penalty because we’ve never had the experience of using it before and being penalized until now. No one warned us not to make claims. But we’d also had numerous other things we had to spend a lot on that were unforeseen oop in the last 5 years. Sewer line outside home replaced. Pool resurfaced/replastered. New air conditioner and system. It’s not as bad as The Money Pit but it’s been a lot of headaches.

@yayas Carriers look back 3-5 years on water claims.

Carriers, due to the hard market, are now restricting water claims to one claim within the last 3-5 years for new business.

As others have mentioned, force placed insurance from your lender will likely only cover the loan amount. Meaning, there will not be any coverage for your personal property, loss of use, liability coverage, etc.

The fact that you are in CA is not helping you because it is a terrible market and it sounds like being denied from the fair plan was your last resort.

Water claims are literally the worst type of claims you can have as they are not catastrophic claims.

You can look into a non-admitted excess & surplus policy as they have more liberal underwriting guidelines. You will want to make sure they have at least an AM best rating of A-. This will be a Hail Mary but it’s better than force placed. It will also satisfy your loan requirements.

You might be able to squeak by getting an owner occupied DP policy as a stop gap until you are insurable again.

@sharpya88 I do CA surplus Commercial not personal. Its tight as all get out. Ive sent out quite a few everyone declined you even fair plan because your building sucks letters.

First time ive had to do that in 20 years.

@jdubya I have been an IA for 22 years and I say the words "This is as bad as I've ever seen it" to customers almost daily. Clients truly have no clue how difficult insurance is for all states, lines of business, and carriers right now.

@marinanunez577 People can't seem to understand it. I had a conversation with an insured why rates are increasing and she cut me off and ended the call with the fact that she understands inflation. I never mentioned inflation once.

@drybomber Reinsurance costs are off the charts and insurance companies are trying to stay solvent. They let so much go for so long people think that it's them being assholes but its really really not.

inflation and supply. Everyone seems to grasp that used cars aren't cheap anymore but they can't seem to get that it means there're also not cheap to insure either.

@drybomber Lots of reasons. Depends on the state a bit as well but it includes higher number of average claims, higher dollar claim amounts driven by both inflation and a higher cost to repair autos or homes, driving habits and the fact that many insurance companies are paying out more in claims than they are taking in premium dollars. People would be pretty mad if the insurance company didn't have the money to pay out claims.

@sharpya88 The relief we need is a few years with no major disasters. Sorry folks, the free ride is over. Put your head between your legs and hope your little part of the world fairs better than the others.

@sharpya88 A lot of people dont stop to realize water is the single biggest claim. Our insurer even capped it. A previous insurer in our condo subrogated 175,964 due in part to a years worth of relocation while they fixed the place