Noob question: Why aren’t property prices coming down?

@only_a_man A house or flat still seems to be the first instinct for the financially illiterate, which most people seem to be. A couple of recent examples:
  • Just last month a friend, an NRI went to Bangalore and bought a villa for cash (US dollars). He has absolutely no plans to return to India, ever. He is blissfully oblivious to investing choices and blindly believes in buying a house or flat whenever possible. He’s not even from Bangalore, he just bought one there because another friend did the same thing.
  • An elderly relative who just took central govt retirement is getting a lump sum, and she is about to put the better part of a crore on an as-yet-unbuilt flat in the suburbs of Chennai! I’m having a tough time convincing her that it’s a bad idea, but it’s like she zones out when I start talking investment terminology, and wants to change the subject. Well what can I say, it’s her money.
Real estate in india is an interesting bubble...

@bojangles1 The second point is literally my mom right now. She is retiring and wants to invest all the money she gets in a flat. We already have a house.

I am not that financially literate, so its even tougher for me to convince her. Any ideas on where she could put that money?

@bojangles1 I don't think it's bubble. People look for opportunities to park their lumpsum money. RE is one of them. They are already heavily invested in stock market, gold, retirement funds, etc. Yet they have surplus capital to park somewhere. They don't want to risk that capital in stocks.

I know someone who has two paid up properties under his name and one ancestral property. Already enough invested enough in stock, retirement funds and FDs. Yet, he bought another property. When I asked about his reasoning, he said he'd liquidate any of the property once his kids enter college. His kids won't require any student loan for higher studies.

@only_a_man In an economic market, determination of price takes place only when an actual transaction takes place. If you can hold that off, the “price” does not come down. This problem (and this opportunity for manipulation) is par for the course in all illiquid transactions - for example startup stocks.

Coming to real estate, the only transaction that one is forced to perform on the clock is EMI payments or debt servicing to the financing institution. So builders can be forced to sell instead of hold; i.e. property prices will come down only via these two mechanisms - flat owners can’t pay EMI, or builders default on bank loans.

The US crisis happened when there were “subprime” loans made to people who could not repay the EMI on time. In India getting bank loan for property without income stream is still difficult so that avenue is tight.

The other aspect, builders defaulting on debt, is what people are expecting. This is predicated on two facts: builders actually fund their projects using loans in white from regular financing institutions, and that there is a strict way of the bank initiating the NPA and recovery process from the builder on time.

Both of these are murky in the Indian RE market. Large builders might be financing from audited institutions, but taking smaller players into account, on aggregate the financing itself is in black. And when debt is not serviced, banks are reluctant to mark it as NPA, or can be convinced to not mark it as such, because of their own internal pressures.

The NPA regime is being tightened, but still has a long way to go. And the black economy needs to dry up before builders are forced to turn to law abiding financing sources, It’s likely that unless there is some trigger, the current rate of decrease in property prices might not lower further.