Non-owner car insurance in Ontario requires car insurance first?

waffleone3

Hello! I live in Ontario. Since I don't own a vehicle, but occasionally borrow or help out other people by driving their vehicles, I was looking into what I could do to get my own auto insurance.

But according to this site, such a product doesn't exist. I need car insurance first—for a car I don't have?

First thing’s first: Ontario has strict rules about car insurance, and one of them is that non-owner insurance policies cannot be purchased as an independent product. This means that you must have an existing car insurance plan in order to purchase Liability for Damage to Non Owned Automobiles insurance. The non-owner car insurance coverage would be added to the existing policy as an endorsement:

It goes on to describe an OPCF27 endorsement, called a Legal Liability For Damage To Non Owned Automobiles. And, worse, it only applies to rental cars.

Is it the case, then, that for me to drive another person's vehicle occasionally, they must add me to their insurance—I cannot bring my own?

@waffleone3 No insurance follows the vehicle so that means lend your car, lend your insurance so your vehicle is covered if you lend it to someone. That also means if the borrower has an accident with it, it stays on your insurance as well so if there is an at fault accident it is now the owners at fault accident.