No proper separation between kitchen and bathroom, against building code (not fire code). If fire, coverage denied?

ohitsyouagain

I bought a small house with 2 apartments. I will live in one and rent the other. This will sound weird but actually looks good: one apartment has no separation between kitchen and bathroom. You can't see the toilet from the kitchen. Both rooms feel larger than if there was complete separation, and in the bathroom you get to see out the kitchen window (not a privacy issue; beautiful) sometimes feel the sun.

If a fire started in the kitchen and spread to the bathroom and thru the bathroom to elsewhere, could an insurance adjuster say the fire might not have spread so far if there had been a door between the kitchen and bathroom? I know I don't require a fire-rated door in that location, but if the building code requires a door between bathroom and kitchen/anywhere, could an insurance company deny a claim if a fire spreads to the bathroom and beyond?

(There is a door between the bedroom and the kitchen+bathroom, so if a fire spread far, the lack of door between kitchen and bathroom could be blamed. On the other hand, the door to the bedroom is generally left open.)

I'm considering:
  1. Expanding the bit of wall that does exist and installing a standard door.
  2. Doing nothing.
  3. Installing a barn door. (Does it matter if there's an inch gap at the top?)
  4. Installing a curtain (farther from stove than required)
From an insurance coverage perspective, are these all okay?

----------

(Ignore hygiene. If anyone is hung up on that: It's 7 feet from the toilet to the closest countertop (pantry and fridge in between in one direction, open space in another direction), farther than people say to keep toothbrushes away from toilets.)

@ohitsyouagain Ok, I will overlook the weirdness of all of this and go straight to insurance.

They cannot deny a fire claim without the presence of fraud, misrepresentation, failure to disclose material change/facts, etc.

So come claim time the insurance company will rebuild to what was. However, if what you had was below code, they can't do that. So this is where your gap in insurance lies. You maybe required to pay the difference between what the insurance company would pay and what will be required to get your occupancy permit. Most policies have a small allowance for this sort of thing, but it primary for when a home ends up below code due to code changes over time. Not for renovations that ignore the code altogether.