flyinflame14yyt

Going with a burner account for this post.

So in the downturn in 2008 I took on a nixer with a family member. I took a decent pay cut with the crash and reached out to help for a few quid for an odd shift , 50 quid or so. The work, i wont get into it, but its on your feet and more labour intensive than my normal office job 9-5 and the hours are unsocial, until the early morning or starting 3am for about 4 or 5 hours. I was grateful for the few quid. I always had a second job , saving for a deposit or beer money since i was 14/15

Time has moved on now, I'm 14 years older, i have kids, i've really gotten ahead in my career and I earn decent money , so does my partner. I always held on to the nixer. I think at times i was helping the family member more than they were helping me, it became part of my routine and my routine income, it increased to 2 or 3 shifts a week and a few extra quid so i could be getting 600e+ a month. But like all money, it just fills a vacuum. I paid off a new car 2 or 3 years early, it pays for X y Z / child care / partner took extra unpaid leave etc .

Im at a point now, where the family member has poor health so i am being asked to rely on a bit more which i have but as a result everything else is suffering. My body is starting to break down a bit, back pain, knee pain which is curbing my involvement in sports. My energy levels dwindle or get patchy

My main job / career has been steady and i have always performed and kept the show on the road, sometimes with minimal sleep, which is fortunate. But i acknowledge sometimes i treat the nixer money as more important than my salary which is 5 times it!

I think i am ready to move on but am shitting it that i will miss the cash. Will the time i've spent working this job just be absorbed by me pissing about not doing anything, not going back to the gym, not spending time with kids etc etc.

I guess i just want to vent / rant and see the viewpoint of maybe others who have been in this position. I dont want to leave the family member in the lurch but my body is starting to creak at the hinges a bit and i am not altogether sure the money matters.

@flyinflame14yyt I did a nixer for about 10 years. Like you around 600 a month. I missed the money for about 2 months but the time off and extra sleep were absolute bliss. Trust me, you wont miss it.

@flyinflame14yyt You only live once if you have to think about that fact you might miss the money you more than likely won’t miss it… tomorrow is not guaranteed enjoy your health and family while you still have the chance!

@flyinflame14yyt The nixer is the equivalent of about €1100 a month of taxable income (roughly, haven't done the math).

Do you think it would be achievable to get a raise like that through a promotion or by changing jobs? That way you'd have the same income but in a 9-5 role. The extra sleep would help in all sorts of ways as well.

@tony58 I am on an inremental payscale with a future promotion on the horizon. My income has jumped about 27k since 2008. So i never hit that EUREKA moment where i got a promotion and said 'i dont need this extra cash' but throw in a healthy dose of feeling obliged to stay with the family member as I was loyal.

But when my family plan things, our main jobs never dictate whether we can, its only ever 'oh i have to work X Shift at 4am so i dont want to go'