[New York] pandemic unemployment question- help please!

itsdemtitans

I was a substitute teacher for a small (1 class per grade) k-8 school before Covid hit.
At the suggestion of my neighbor I filed for Pandemic unemployment last week. I got the email from NYS Dept of Labor that my claim was accepted and I’ll be getting info in the mail.

I’m concerned that i shouldn’t have applied. It’s a small school and I don’t want to be looked over for permanent employment opportunities in the future if they look down on the fact that I filed for unemployment. Does it cost them money?
I’ve never used it before.
I was averaging 1-6 days a month before the school closed.
Thanks for any insight. Don’t want to “game the system” and if I’m eligible I’ll take it, but not if the school will be responsible for the cost and it will be “frowned upon” by the principal because it will cost them money and she won’t call me to sub or pass me over for a permanent position (which is my end goal in subbing)

@resjudicata Yes millions did. But this school is so small, under 30 employees. I’ll stand out as one of two subs. So I don’t want to file if they’re going to think I’m trying to be opportunistic for doing so.

@itsdemtitans Reminder that with the CARES act over, states are expected to start enforcing work search requirements again. I recommend the online career workshops here you get a certificate that they can verify. It's all done online and it usually takes me an hour or less to complete a workshop so it shouldn't be a problem doing it every week. So I'd recommend doing one or two of these each week, or 3 if you really cannot find any jobs to apply to. Virtual Workshops count as work search activities ( Source )

Keep a folder for each week with your work search log and your certificates and proof of any other work search activities you did for that week in case you're asked to show proof or are audited.