New military spouse and worried about finances.

@abaddonthedestroyer Some things people haven't mentioned:

It shouldn't take 'months' for BAH to kick in. In fact, you should've seen it on the April 1st paycheck (which is what I'm assuming is already in your account via direct deposit) given that he started service on Mar 4. So the pay on Apr 1 should've been for $1,682.55 (1/2 mo pay E1 < 4 mo + 1/2 mo BAH) or something over $3,000 if you were getting the back pay from Mar 4-15. Something isn't right. I don't know if your husband gets a weekly phone call or something, but he needs to go to admin and sort this out.

If you aren't working, you all qualify for federal assistance because his base pay is below the federal poverty line for a family of 4. You should look into federal and state assistance programs such as SNAP and WIC to help offset some expenses. This will allow you to pay down your debt more quickly.

Make sure your husband is properly filing his W-4. With your family size and his income, you should be paying $0 in federal and state taxes. You won't get return, but you need that extra money every month to put toward bills and not to give the government an interest-free loan.

It's really, really difficult to declare bankruptcy in your situation, even if your husband wasn't military. I'm not familiar with all of the details, but apparently people were abusing bankruptcy to discharge personal debt and so the laws changed. You can talk to a lawyer, but don't be surprised if they tell you that you need to develop a plan to pay your bills.

If any of those loans are above 6%, you can use the SCRA to refinance to 6%.

I don't know what ratio your bills are of hospital vs. cc vs. loan, but I'm assuming the hospital is the driving factor of the $3,300 minimum monthly payment. Hospital bills and payment plans are highly negotiable, especially for people who are lower income. First do a google search about the dos and don'ts of dealing with hospital billing, then call them and see what they can do.

You'll probably have to use the "snowball method" to get out from under this.

@abaddonthedestroyer It's going after the debt with smallest principal first regardless of interest rate.

Because you are extremely cash flow limited, the only way to increase your net income and make meaningful payments to the bigger debt is to get rid of the smaller debt first.

It cost slightly more in interest, but you will feel financial relief faster.

@abaddonthedestroyer Snap and WIC are a great idea. You will need to go to your state website - just google state WIC or food stamps. All the info you need will be there. You can also call 211 and ask for resources. Please utilize food banks. They are there for you.

@abaddonthedestroyer Once he graduates, do not hesitate to use USAA or Navy Fed's Career Starter Loan. 25,000 to consolidate some of your debt into a much smaller interest rate. I took it out when I graduated WOCS and my payment was about $450/mo. It was super useful and could save you thousands over some bigger loans you currently have.

Bundle that with using the SCRA to get the ones you can't lump into the CSL to 6%, and you'll be saving yourselves a lot of money in interest.

Additionally, get yourselves into financial counseling so you don't squash this debt just to go right back into it. Use ACS, Military One Source, they both have fantastic resources to help you get the right mindset for your finances.