[New Jersey] "N.J. will not extend pandemic unemployment benefits to 500K residents, source says"

rdupreez

Hot off the presses: Murphy (our Commandant) to announce - "N.J. will not extend pandemic unemployment benefits to 500K residents" per https://www.nj.com/coronavirus/2021...t-benefits-to-500k-residents-source-says.html .

For those on PEUC, see the commentary: "Another 190,000 people receive Pandemic Emergency Unemployment Compensation (PEUC), which adds 13 weeks of benefits for people who exhaust their regular payments. But of those, about 100,000 people will be moved onto a different extended benefit program, the Labor Department said.". This is referring to the NJ State Extended Benefits (is my thinking). I.e. a little over half of the unemployed receiving PEUC will be moved to State Extended Benefits.

@rdupreez Just wait for Murphy to say "we beat this pandemic as a community and as proud New Jerseyans" come October/November. When in actuality the healthcare workers, the retail workers, and food servers have had this pandemic on their back. This is a huge middle finger to everyone struggling to find a job right now and it'll reflect in the polls come November.

I'll be either voting independently or abstaining from the ballot in November. Murphy can go run back to his rich old white buddies at Goldman Sachs next year.

@snowangel26
We shouldn't have to wait until November for an extension. We should be getting one now. He'll say the money will "go back into the economy" when the economy is failing. Murphy has been handling this pandemic quite well but he really messed up on this one.

@snowangel26 why are you capping for Murphy all the time ? is he part of your family lol. cmon. you don't know the guy and he doesn't know you. nor does he care. I probably care more about you then he does to even write this comment. this is a serious thing and I refuse to support any of these people. they just basically told us to F off and die. you sound like you're in denial about Murphy.

@snowangel26 I'm sorry for being reactionary. it was an emotionally charged comment and was not in good taste. I do apologize. Just because you don't agree with me doesn't give me the right to act mean towards you. this is a unprecedented time where we are all in the same sinking boat. speaking ill to each other does nothing.

@donnaj867 I'm just trying to improve a little everyday. thank you. who am I to judge anyone? I need to be accountable for my words because I have my bad days (just like everyone else )and that shouldn't determine or excuse how I treat others.

@rdupreez Spoiler: Only state that MAY consider that is California. Since the excess Covid-19 money can be used on anything Covid-19 related, they're going to do other things with it that help themselves out later politically. Unemployment is the least popular political move right now. You have to call your representatives like AOC told us to and get attention to extend unemployment. For folks in the 11 states who cut PUA, you must tell your representatives that it was illegal to cut PUA because it was non discretionary and they need to reinstate unemployment, even if they had to use another state. During the Katrina and Rita hurricanes, unemployment to affected states were done through other states.

It should have been done here, but it looks like USDOL failed us. It was likely intentional, as the 11 states that cut everything seem to have been put into a grand social experiment to see how bad life sucks for us, and would hiring pick up as a result of cuts. It didn't. Many want to say it's because we wouldn't take low paying jobs, but everyone keeps trying to assume it was very lower level workers that are on UI. I know of folks, personally, who have had to take massive pay cuts when their jobs released them due to COVID-19 (40K+ to 20K Mississippi WBA cap only helped with the 600 initial boost). It's impossible to fight that narrative now.

But everyone has to fight or we all lose.