New driver

learis

Odd situation here- my brother-in-law (33 y/o) moved two door down from me. We live in Florida. He has his driving permit and is taking driving classes. He plan to buy a car soon and it’ll need to be insured. He won’t likely won’t have his driver license at the time he makes that purchase. How can we get his future car insured? His wife also doesn’t have a driver license. In my household (two doors down) I have a license and insured car. My mother-in-law has a drivers license but hasn’t drove/ has no insurance history in 15+ years. We could switch her address to my brother-in-laws house but that is just so much work. Any suggestions?

Good question. He plans on getting a used car and paying for it in full. I can help him with driving it home. I plan on helping him with supervised driving too. Yes, they moved from NYC. Same with my husband who only has a permit as well. Which makes me the full time chauffeur 🙄

@learis How is the BIL going to drive his new car off the lot without a license? The dealership normally requires proof of insurance at the time of the purchase (normally people show proof of insurance on the car they were driving before the purchase) but the BIL doesn't even have that. You can get pre-approved for a policy on a car you are preparing to buy, but somebody with a valid license and insurance will need to be with the BIL when he takes delivery of the new vehicle. Weird he is 33 and just now getting a license and his wife doesn't have one either. Did they move from a major city with public transportation everywhere or something?