need some advice with owning a U.S. based portfolio as an American ex-pat (green card holder) in Japan

Hi all,

I'm a U.S. green card holder with Japanese citizenship, about to be based in Japan as an expat in the coming months.

I was wondering if anyone here could shine some light on how to manage a stock portfolio in my situation. I was pretty clueless but upon doing some research, I now know that the tax situation can get pretty complicated... so I wanted to see how to make it the most simple/cheap...?

Other people on reddit pointed out in my previous posts about "phantom" gains, which are caused by changes in the value of dollar to yen. Yen to dollar conversion is projected to stay this way for a while, so I wanted to see what people in similar situations to me are doing about their portfolios.

Also, if the U.S. terminates my green card (I applied for a re-entry permit so I should at the very least be good for another 2 years) would I have to sell off my American portfolio, or is there a way to transport it safely to a brokerage in Japan...?

TLDR:

Owing taxes to both countries (double taxation) sucks, plus the work required to file for both is also a headache. What is the best way to manage a stock portfolio in my situation, as a Japanese national who has an American stock portfolio...?

P.S. Thank you all for your continuous help! I never thought I'd be posting on reddit, but that has totally changed over the past few months.