Need some advice on a recent claim please.

glittergirl52

I work nights and do a 12 hour shift. While I was working, a water line connector on my toilet busted and flooded my first floor and basement. Due to it happening while I was away, the damages were pretty bad. The ceilings collapsed in the basement and water leaked down all the walls. All appliances were affected as well as cabinets and countertops. In addition, the upstairs was covered with about an inch or so of water sitting on the hardwood floors and leaking through the walls into other rooms. Pretty much the entire area is stripped down to the studs. Servicemaster came the same day and began to demo and within 3 days had fans running in the basement. It took them 6 days to start anything on the first floor where the items I am referring to were housed. I don't think they will fight me on the home repairs as much as the personal property. They brought in a restoration company to "access and refurbish" the damaged electronics. My wife also has a large collection of collectibles and paintings in the most heavily affected rooms. They were not sitting in water but it was so humid in those rooms that everything was covered with moisture. The house had a musty smell and we both experienced headaches that stated around day 4. Thats when the insurance moved us to a hotel where we are currently staying. My question is what's the proper way to move forward with claiming these items. My wife has a severe mold allergy and I also have babies in the home. I would rather be safe when it comes to belongings that have been exposed to water. They treated the home for mold as a precaution so shouldn't all items be treated. I can't really see "damage" on the items because pops are plastic, but I don't see a way to treat them without damaging them. They were out of the boxes so it's just the Funkos themselves. My furniture was also sitting in water or exposed to a humid environment for 6 days. I can't see "damage" on some of the furniture, but I am sure they have to be affected by the water and moisture they were exposed to. Also do you have the right to refuse the property and take a depreciated value of the items. Sorry for the long message and thanks for any advice.

@glittergirl52 Collectibles would need to get scheduled on the policy to get full stated value. Otherwise you're going to get the replacement cost of just "funko pops", so like $10-12/each. You'll actually get the depreciated, actual cash value, until you replace them, then you can get the recoverable depreciation. That being said, I don't see why you can't wash them with some soap and water and be fine.

If furniture was sitting in water, it's likely they'll just junk them. Replacement cost will be applied the same way.

@glittergirl52 Insurance covers physical damage. Items that were not damaged but that you're afraid might get moldy some day do not have physical damage. If you're afraid of mold get a hepa filter and a dehumidifier (I'm sure servicemaster already used a big one when drying out your house).

It may also be worth mentioning that many policies have special limits on damage caused by mold, and some exclude mold entirely. The potential complications that these clauses can cause are avoided by getting a company like service master out to get it dried up asap

@glaigleman What are you talking about, there is no damage. I explained how mold exceptions can create complications to emphasize that one of the main goals of mitigation is to prevent mold from developing and set op's mind at ease.

@servantofchrist27 100%- but they said the collectibles developed moisture on them while he was at work...so it is possible they sustained damage. Collectibles may be impossible to mitigate so they could be considered a total loss because of the moisture alone, let alone any mold issues.

@glaigleman
may be

could be

This is nonsense and completely unhelpful to op. Op's funko pops show no evidence of damage so they are not damaged. It's that easy. If damage does develop then the actual damage will be evaluated to determine if it is part of this loss. Claims deal with real events not imagined hypotheticals.

@servantofchrist27 He said they developed moisture on them. If it can't be cleaned or wiped away, it is considered physical damage. It's that easy. If I was OP, I would inform the adjuster that is the case and hopefully they can recommend a competent contents adjuster to come look at the boxes. Yes, sublimits will apply, but it is damage that should be covered.

@servantofchrist27 You still continue to ignore that he said he saw damage on the collectibles. Basically following your training to ignore damage and to assist the insured in investigating the damages. Enjoy the Koolaid.

@servantofchrist27 Then why does he want to treat them? It’s a general case of an insured not knowing what to look for. It’s an adjusters duty to assist them. If it was me, I’d rather be safe than wrong.

@glittergirl52 Apparently the person I responded to didn't like my comments and deleted their posts because they learned how wrong they are.

Please ask your adjuster to send out someone who can assess your collectibles; there are specialized contents experts in your area who can determine if your items are damaged. A lot of adjusters will not look for damage - even though that is one of their duties - but remember it is YOUR claim and you are responsible in the end for presenting damages. It never hurts to ask, in writing, to your adjuster for help, especially when these items could be causing health issues.