Need Health Insurance Mid Year, no insurance currently. Private Insurance?

stlwalker

Hi all, really need some help here.

I, 27m, (stupidly) didn’t opt into my Job’s health insurance and now have nothing. November 8th,2022 I was on my father’s plan and had a cornea transplant.
Now I’m having some issues and need to get in for an appointment.

AND I’ve now realized my major mistake and regret every single decision I’ve made up until this point. I didn’t realize that enrollment periods are a thing and desperately need insurance now.

I tried to get into Husky CT’s ACA healthcare but make about 40k which is too much to qualify. My job’s enrollment isn’t until November and I’m terrified I’ll have to go nearly 6 months without insurance.

What are my options here? Is there a private health insurance I can apply to and use until the end of the year? Is the cornea transplants pre-existing condition? Should I just get a new job? Nobody taught me these things. I’m lost, scared, and feel like a failure of an adult.

Thanks for any help or information you can provide.

EDIT:

I’d just like to say Thank you all for your help and advice. EXTREMELY luckily, I was able to speak to the HR supervisor of my job, who spoke to multiple managers who attested to my work, ethic, and care they all have for me.

They were able to retroactively take me off payroll and re-add me so I could qualify for the plan. Probably not entirely okay but they will be helping me and I’ll have access to healthcare.

Eye appointment went as expected. My cornea transplant has rejected and I’ll be requiring lots of aid.

To anyone else, young/old: just accept your jobs health insurance, it’s the least you can do. AND if you think you f***d up, seriously just reach out to people around you. Maybe they can help and you just don’t know it. Go up the hierarchy. My shame was in not asking for help and trying to handle things on my own. Ask. For. Help.

@stlwalker Getting a new job which offers insurance would be the best option. There are some part time jobs like Starbucks which have insurance if you work a minimum number of hours - I think it is 20 per week.

Outside of that your options would essentially be non ACA compliant policies which means that anything relating to your corneal surgery would not be covered.

@foe OP this is the answer.

In the meantime, you have an emergent situation with your eye. Call the doctors office and ask them if they can help with your financial situation. Is it going to cost money, yes, but it’s likely to be less than 1 month of health insurance. Find a teaching eye clinic, they may be able to help with cost further.

@foe I thought I tried as I thought that’s what Husky was?

I make about 600 a paycheck, single, 23/hrx35 hrs a week. About 40k a year. I’m really not sure I qualify for aca plan.

@stlwalker When you say you tried-was it for medicaid or their marketplace plans? Call them and ask. Any citizen can apply and be considered for a special enrollment period. I know my state cut off for tax credits is $48K much lower threshold for Medicaid. So if you make $48K and up you pay the full premium. You would likely not qualify for Medicaid but I do not know your states guidelines nor do I know how your state has set things up.. You need to contact them for ACA compliant plan.

@stlwalker Medicaid is open all year. If monthly income is under $1,732 you would qualify. Unlike the ACA plans which are based on calendar year, Medicaid is monthly based so previous months do not count against you.