Need a new bumper, maybe.

williamc

Call my agent of +15 years for my first potential claim ever. Bumper damage on a 2011 Ford Flex Limited.

Backstory: The front bumper and engine skid-plate is un modified but it’s low to the ground from the factory. It’s been drug over curbs it’s entire life (not by me).

Recent story: Parked somewhere recently where the curb was a little higher than most and smacked the bottom of the bumper. Some plastic left the bottom of the vehicle. No damage visible without laying on the ground and looking but I fear it has compromised the bumper to skid-plate transition. I’m hesitant to drive the car at freeway speeds for fear the skid plate will suck air and exit the vehicle.

Insurance agent verifies policy, says I have accident forgiveness but says maybe get a no-insurance quote first. Then weigh the odds of burning the forgiveness and just pay the bill myself.

I have an appointment to have the damage assessed in two days but where do you go from there? What’s your dollar figure cutoff regarding an out of pocket repair 🆚 insurance claim? My deductible is $500. The car also needs a windshield but it’s not unsafe (in the field of vision) at this point.

I’m a former mechanic, now desk jockey. Previously I fixed everything myself, hence no claims ever. Now I’m raising two teenage daughters on my own and I don’t have the time to repair/replace and paint a full bumper. This is the first time I have considered submitting a claim at 43 years old and I’m asking for advice.

@williamc Your agent gave you good advice. I’d probably draw the line at $2,500. The problem is that there could potentially be more damage found in the repair process, so the initial estimate may not be the whole story.