My own insurance is trying to Screw me.

yougetagoldstar

I was involved in a hit and run about 3 weeks ago. Thankfully I had a dash cam and was able to clearly get the guys plate.

The mess with insurance started immediately as they took 3 days to pick up the car. Thankfully the shop the vehicle is at is extremely helpful. The vehicle is reparable and the damage is about 15k. The issue is. The car is still so new. Parts are hard to come by. One of the parts is what makes the car drive and the shop told me Parts are nearly impossible to find.

The issue is. With all of this in mind. My insurance is not willing to help me at all.

My policy covers 1000 worth of rental coverage which I’m nearing that limit.

My insurance told me I have to call the Offenders insurance to File a claim and have them extend the rental. They then said that since the car is repairable. They won’t total the car regardless of part availability. Meaning my car will sit at a Shop for Months till they can get parts. When I told them to total the car. They said they cannot per my policy details and my contract. (Which sounds like a bogus excuse.)

So in the meantime, I’m still on the hook for my car Payments. The rental payments. The Insurance etc. about $2500 in total a month.

In short my insurance said. “Its not our problem.” They told me to call the offender’s insurance and to deal with them. The thing is they know the Guys insurance. Bug They couldn’t even get me a policy number.

I really am not to sure what to do. I will go broke trying to pay everything. I feel like insurance is just trying to take advantage of me. Is there any hope of arguing it to be totaled? Or get me compensated fairly.

@yougetagoldstar That is your insurance abiding by the policy, not them trying to screw you. The policy is a contract. Your contract with the insurance company says you have a limit on your rental coverage. It is not unlimited rental until your car is fixed. That is what you agreed to when you signed the contract.

It's great that you had a dash cam. You have $1000 of rental coverage worth of time to file a claim with the driver's insurance company. You have enough information to do this right now, the policy number is helpful but not essential. The driver is liable for loss of transportation which means that they owe reasonable costs for a rental until your vehicle can be made drivable again. The limit on this coverage is the liability likit on their policy, which will be significantly higher than $1000. File your claim with the other company, give them the police report info and your dash cam video.

Get the police report if you don't already have it.

@yougetagoldstar This is why I always advise going through a third-party liability claim when possible. You need to take their advice and file a claim through the other party to have them cover the rental costs, including what you’ve already paid out of pocket, while your vehicle is in the shop. First step is to get the other party’s insurance to confirm liability, then determine payment for rental. They’ll likely have you cover the costs until repairs are complete then reimburse you. Just make sure the rental is at a “reasonable” rate, which they can tell you.

The only thing I see wrong here is that they won’t give you the other party’s policy number. That’s pretty bogus and I would speak to claims, your agent, etc. until they can give you what you need. Also, if you have dash cam footage, did you file a police report? They can also get the policy number and general insurance info. That’s what I got when I had a hit and run and caught it on dash cam.

@yougetagoldstar They aren't screwing you over. They're doing exactly what you pay your premiums for them to do.

Paying for repairs? ✅

Providing a rental car? ✅️.

They don't have to total it just because you want to totaled for your convenience. They aren't responsible for delay in parts.

@yougetagoldstar I am in the same boat with Erie. I had to pay 2400 in car rental fees because they only pay 30 days. The agent never told me this when I added rental to my policy and I’ve read over my policy and nowhere in the policy does it give a dollar amount. Maybe they have some internal contract that I don’t see, but it’s definitely deceptive. This was my first time being in this situation and I assumed (wrongly) that I would get a rental as long as it took to fix the car. So what if my car would have taken 8 months to fix? That would have financially put me in a horrible spot. It shouldn’t be like that. But it is.