My neighbor’s house exploded. How do I proceed from here?

babygems

Last night a car crashed into my neighbors home. It caused a natural gas leak and led to an explosion that shook the city and blew out most of our windows and caused some rather serious damage to our foundation.

My wife and I are on our honeymoon so we have her parents on standby to take photos once they are allowed on the scene by police. What should our first steps be? I’m a new home owner and have never made a claim before with any insurance.

Update:
9/9/23 my family was able to get in and check the place out. The concussive blast cracked walls, SWAT-style blew in my (padlocked) front door, and even shot the light switch on my wall across the room, ripping it from the drywall. Definite foundation concerns, along with my car having potentially serious damage (the car was shoved about 5 feet by the blast).

@babygems Your first concern should be to secure your house from weather, vandals and animals, etc.

Calling your insurance company immediately and they should handle getting that process started to secure your home.

@kittygamer Adding for OP - keep the receipts for this stuff. You do have an obligation to try to prevent further damage to the property (e.g., boarding up broken windows), and often those costs can be covered by the claim too, within reason.

@twentyseventeen If your insurance offers contractor connection for board up that would be the easiest thing. Let them find someone and pay for it. On the rebuild take your time to vet your own contractor, but for emergency items I would let the carrier facilitate.

@teo201 I’m a painter for a reconstruction company. Absolutely contact insurance and companies like mine who work with local fire departments and what not call us and we come and cover up any holes/doorways.

@teo201 This is good advice, especially if you’re out of town. Letting them set up their own person to come out also means there’s no questions or back and fourth if there is additional weather damage due to poorly secured windows and doors.

@samej Ha, ha! Honestly, this sounds so much cooler than the typical broken supply line. I'd rather do this than 90% of the ones I get. Then again, if you're handling a dozen a week in the field, or even more in house, this would suck hard.

@babygems Highly recommend using your own insurance to handle your damages. With there being multiple property damages, limits will be an issue.
Like others stated, need to protect your property from more damages. Get windows boarded up

Edit: I suck at spelling

@babygems Then definitely call your insurance company now. That’s gonna be a big mess with a lot of no coverage/state min depending on policy. Let it be someone else’s headache

@babygems If they driver was involved in an illegal activity (like this) there is a good chance there is NO coverage from their insurance should they even have any.

@babygems Get an attorney, the police should of called off the chase if it got dangerous, especially in a high density population area. The city could be liable for your damages. Lawyer up.

@bridgida Considering it. Might go after National Grid too though. The leak/emergency was reported to them around 3 am. The explosion happened at about 6am. The company never sent an emergency response to shut the gas off in that time.