My mom isn’t allowed to open a bank account, don’t know what to do

@bombito Actually, some credit unions do use chexsystems or something similar to it. An ex of mine had that problem where she wasn't able to open a bank account with both a regular bank and a credit union. Instead, she was tacked onto a family member's account.

@aleckss When I work at the bank this did happen but we were allowed to open accounts for people with charged off accounts with manager approval. The only times when the bank would 100 percent refuse is when “account abuse” happened. This usually meant a person would consistently get in the negatives and did things like write bad checks.

But I can’t recall if the Chex system is nationwide. I knew some customers that would have charged off accounts at one bank but would be able to open up a new one at a different bank.

@grimlock I’ve watched branch managers override Chex system warnings to open accounts for people. So unless something has changed in banking since I left idk what you’re talking about. And there are banks that completely ignore Chex systems… Capital One. Sofi.

If a branch manager is low on checking accounts that month they’ll approve just about every customer that would come in.

I worked for a manager that would tell customers to wait for the account to get charged off then come back in. That way when they opened the new account the bank won’t take their funds because the bank no longer owned the debt.

Can a bank change a record on Chex, no. But there’s nothing that says a bank can’t open a account for someone on Chex systems.

@grimlock I don’t like to make blind assumptions on the internet but I feel confident saying you never worked in banking. There’s nothing illegal or unethical about giving people flagged on Chex systems a account. Banks do it all the time.

https://www.nerdwallet.com/article/banking/blocked-by-chexsystems-what-to-know

“Bank or credit union managers often have the authority to grant account privileges in spite of negative ChexSystems reports,”

Literally a quote from the linked article.

If managers couldn’t override or approve new accounts for account abusers then who did you think does the overriding?