My job often has a lot of down time... how would you use this time productively?

zumbafanforever

My job requires me to be onsite (at various sites each day) for X amount of hours.

It is very site-dependent, but sometimes I am only working as little as 10-20% of that time.

E.g. a 4-hour stint, I might only have 30 minutes of "work" to do.

Is there any way to earn a few bucks during this spare time? Something that you can just pick up and put down whenever you need to.

And before people jump in with judgemental comments, to be clear, I am being paid to be available. Thus, the employer does not care so much what I do in the time I am not needed. Think of it like being 'on call'.

@zumbafanforever Life admin and research to reduce costs. A dollar saved you would have spent is a dollar earned.

Eg your kid is growing and will need a new bed soon. Research beds that will suit your needs, flag some products. Look for discounted ones or set it up so the company will alert you to a sale. When the sale happens, pounce. Set up an alert on facebook marketplace for a second hand one.

Eg your house's architraves are a bit worse for wear. Research how you can fix them yourself. Do you need tools you don't have? Find a tool library.

There is an endless amount of this sort of work for households, especially with children. Clothing - repairing or buying new. Grocery sales and deals. School supplies. House maintenance. Garden upkeep. Car upkeep. Holiday research. Gifts. Vouchers for nights out.

Eg maybe you live in sydney and want to attend vivid. And your research leads you to planning it for a weeknight where its less crowded. You eat dinner beforehand and pack some snacks because your research showed the food trucks are selling fairy floss for $20. You get the train in because that works out to be cheaper than paying for parking. etc

@resjudicata 100% this

I've recently started dating someone that works full time in a hands on role vs. my full time office role and I'm boggled by the impact my ability to do life admin has.

Like, I can refinance a home loan, manage credit cards, pay utilities, buy us a bed, order pet food, look up recipes for dinner, write this reddit comment, and check works leave policies.. all at my desk. My partner does those things on their own time

@iccs Yepp.

People complain about being stuck on hold for an hour. To me, that means annoying hold music while I work. To others it means trying to squeeze the call into a lunch break and running out of time so you just.. hang up? And try again tomorrow

@marcellaslaughter There's a parallel truth to this however. The amount of white-collar friends that need help fixing trivial things genuinely boggles my mind. From kitchen cupboard hinges to repairing decks, the tools and experience aren't something everyone possess.